Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, today I have a new problem on the GL1100 that I am customizing.
Everything seemed to be working fine. Finally got the bike to run well. I had installed a new headlight and bucket on the bike. Low and high beam work fine. All other lights and gauges work fine.

All of a sudden, the headlight cuts out. No high or low beam. I tested the bulb itself against a 12V battery and it works fine. I checked the fuse and it works fine.
One thing I notice. Now, every time I turn the ignition to on, I head a pop in the left handlebar switch cluster. I turn it off and turn it back on again, another pop. Does this every time. Still no high or low beam headlights. Thoughts?

·
Administrator
22,182 Posts
My hi/low switch had gotten hot enough to melt the solder. Check yours.

Also, and I don't think this is your current problem, because of the pop, but the start button can get dirty and stick so the lights won't come on. Works fine otherwise.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My hi/low switch had gotten hot enough to melt the solder. Check yours.

Also, and I don't think this is your current problem, because of the pop, but the start button can get dirty and stick so the lights won't come on. Works fine otherwise.

Thanks. I took a look. the solder seems OK. The horn and turn signals works fine. Cannot see anything inside cluster that looks abnormal. I guess I will probably swap out with a new cluster and see if that solves the problem.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,191 Posts
Take a look back in that headlamp bucket.

·
Administrator
25,337 Posts
Must be an 82 or 83, the pop is the turn signal cancel solenoid. I agree with Dennis, it's probably the start button causing the headlight problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Must be an 82 or 83, the pop is the turn signal cancel solenoid. I agree with Dennis, it's probably the start button causing the headlight problem.

I'll be damned. I must admit, I was doubtful but when I wiggled the started button the headlight went back on. Thanks guys!

·
Administrator
22,182 Posts
We won't damn you for that. >:)

The switch can be cleaned if you open up the housing. Be careful though, there are little springs and ball bearings and such that, if given a chance, will run away, never to be seen again.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,191 Posts
If you jump out the black and red & the black and white, north of the red plug, you'll eliminate that spring loaded double through set of contacts.

Now it means the headlamp will stay on when you press the start button, but if they're getting problematic? Why not?? I did! :|

I did it because my HID headlight ballast didn't like turning off and back on that fast, but whatever your reason, it does work.

Oh no! Not a wire nut!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Well, today I have a new problem on the GL1100 that I am customizing.
Everything seemed to be working fine. Finally got the bike to run well. I had installed a new headlight and bucket on the bike. Low and high beam work fine. All other lights and gauges work fine.

All of a sudden, the headlight cuts out. No high or low beam. I tested the bulb itself against a 12V battery and it works fine. I checked the fuse and it works fine.
One thing I notice. Now, every time I turn the ignition to on, I head a pop in the left handlebar switch cluster. I turn it off and turn it back on again, another pop. Does this every time. Still no high or low beam headlights. Thoughts?
I had a problem with my 1100 the headlight would work go off and on.It was a bad ground.Make sure the ground is good look for loose wires.

·
Administrator
25,337 Posts
I had a problem with my 1100 the headlight would work go off and on.It was a bad ground.Make sure the ground is good look for loose wires.
Good point, the ground connection probably needs attention on any old machine but the problem is already solved.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts