Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again all. Been quite some time since I got to post here. Between the radio show, family, and my everyday life issues. I have been a bit tied up.

So I have a question. We still run our 82 1100. She is in need of some overhauling, but due to current finances, that is having to come bit by bit. My main issue now is night time illumination. Waste Management here has converted their trucks to LED headlights. They seem to put out ALOT more light, but the ones they have are EXPENSIVE AS HELL!!!! So I started looking around for alternatives.

So my question is this. I am a worry wart when it comes to too much power drain. I have heard the cost and effort nightmares of replacing a stator so I don't push the bike that hard on power. I have converted alot of the lighting to LED already. I REALLY want to add alot more foward facing white light to aid in night time riding as well as helping be seen during the day. So can you run an HID conversion on an 1100? And is that brighter than an LED headlight? If so, what would the cost variance be on those.

My second option was to try and find some LED driving lights. The ones at the local Auto Zone and such just don't really put out enough light to warrant the cost and time installing them. We had a set on our Nighthawk and our old 1100 that we got hit on. I DO have a set of 55w halogens, but fear that they may pull too much and fry something.

Any help here would be appreciated.

P.S. Is there anyone in the SW florida area that would be interested in a meet up to maybe help my retarded butt start getting the repairs done on my lady? The local shops are really expensive, and I would really like to learn to do alot of this on my own. Besides, on what the VA pays me for disability, I can't afford a shop anyway.

Shea and Brandi

·
Cyclebusters.com
908 Posts
i am guessing here, that like all these 30 year old bikes, your headlight reflector is dulled. go to the auto store and purchase a high quality 6024 halogen sealed beam. You will not believe the difference.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts

·
702 ScottC
61 Posts
I installed a trucklite LED headlamp in my 1981 1100, I really like it. Its the same bulb Harley Davidson sells as a 500$ upgrade. They cost around 200$, I got it from a buddy so free is best!

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
A HID conversion kit on ebay should do the trick nicely there, the ballast fits nicely behind the windshield trim, us a 6000k hi/lo bi-xenon kit, either a single motorcycle kit (cheaper) or one of the two from a car kit,(PLENTY to choose from on eBay) get heeps more light for the 35 watt consumption.
Cheers,
Peter.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
The stator on these old bikes are not like the modern auto alternator. They put out 100% all the time. The regulator takes what isn't used to run the bike and charge the battery and just shunts it to ground. So reducing the "load" is doing nothing but heating up the regulator. Go ahead and replace the bulb with 55w. The bike ran for 30+ years like that anyway. Now two 55w bulbs will probably draw too much and you still won't hurt the stator, remember it runs at 100% all the time, but you will probably also run down the battery.

On my first 1200 I ran the stock 55w bulb and 2 - 35w bulb running lights and that was about all the stator would put out at 2500 rpm and still put some charge into the battery.

·
Cyclebusters.com
908 Posts
with 6 led light strips, standard lighting, and 2 35 watt driving lights, if i run below 50 its discharging. on the freeway its fine. i am waiting for LED bulbs to come down off the clouds

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,630 Posts
The stator on these old bikes are not like the modern auto alternator. They put out 100% all the time. The regulator takes what isn't used to run the bike and charge the battery and just shunts it to ground. So reducing the "load" is doing nothing but heating up the regulator. Go ahead and replace the bulb with 55w. The bike ran for 30+ years like that anyway. Now two 55w bulbs will probably draw too much and you still won't hurt the stator, remember it runs at 100% all the time, but you will probably also run down the battery.
I just wanted to reiterate this statement.

Installing LED lights to reduce the draw on the stator is a misconception. The stator always outputs full power. What is not consumed by the lights is shunted to ground by the regulator.

If you reduce the load too much, the regulator will most like burn up from overload.

Best to keep full lighting load on the stator to keep the regulator cool.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Found a nice HID kit on Ebay. Going to check local area first as I am impatient LOL. Just gotta find a 7" round headlight that I can put in place for the HID bulb. Apparantly mine was replaced with a regular light that is all one piece.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Only issue I have heard of with HID's is that every time they get turned off and on they loose a littel..so the way Gl's are set up to turn headlight off when starting..adds to this issues..so many put a switch in and don't turn the headlight on until teh bike is running. Most light for sure..but watch how you dial it in..a little to the right is better.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
I uprated my 1100 when I went on holiday to Florida.

There has been a topic about this before on here and a bulb called a nightstar or highway star was mentioned.

They are not available over here and I found one in walmart in florida.

try a forum search on these names for an old thread back in 2010 that mentions them. Many 1100 riders used them in the states.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,230 Posts
Found a nice HID kit on Ebay. Going to check local area first as I am impatient LOL. Just gotta find a 7" round headlight that I can put in place for the HID bulb. Apparantly mine was replaced with a regular light that is all one piece.
If you're still looking for a good fairing mounted headlight to replace your sealed beam unit & that will work for an HID then I have one, PM me if you want it.

I changed out my headlight for an HID and never looked back, it's frigging awesome, and beats the pants off of LED, providing it's legal where you live, if you do one simple experiment you'll see how over-rated LED is for light output, get an LED flashlight and an incandescant flashlight, sure the LED looks brighter but shine them both against a wall and you'll see that the incandescant sheds more light, so you have to choose, do you want to see, or be seen?

The HID does both and cuts 20 watts from your electrical system, lights up stop sign reflectors like Las Vagas a 1/4 mile down the road and it doesn't necessarily have to be pointing at it to do it, I had fogotten there was a stop sign at the end of my street until I turned that thing on and I would defy anyone to look straight into it for more than a split second.

Color temperature can be confusing when you order it, but very basically it goes like this, 4300K is pure white and the higher you go the more into the blue you get and if you go all the way to the 9300K you get a violet light, I went for the 4300K, I thought, well if I want to improve on my lighting why would I want a darker color than white.

As far as loosing some output everytime it gets turned on and off, I for sure haven't noticed it and since they advertize them with an average 8,000 hour bulb life, I reckon it ought to out-live my old bike.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
I have a headlight question; maybe you could answer RE: GL1100 Std: My headlight does not always come on after start; is the starter magnetic relay in control of the headlight for starting?

Thanks.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
I have a headlight question; maybe you could answer RE: GL1100 Std: My headlight does not always come on after start; is the starter magnetic relay in control of the headlight for starting?

Thanks.
Most likely is the start button needs cleaning. Wiggle it when the light doesn't come back on and that will show you if it is there.

Spray in electrical contact cleaner in the switch and work it a bunce and spray some more or you will have to take the switch apart and clean it, just make sure to operate inside a 2 gal ziplock clear baggie to help capture any springs that you do not want flying out into the shop or ground to be lost in the dust bunnies..

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Thanks! I'll give that a shot! (It was actually my second guess ;O))

Actually, I seem to recall the return spring feeling a little weak since 2003...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.