Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

I tap them out with a drift pin the size of those pins.
Maybe some PB Blaster on them for a bit too.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
imported post

Hey firebrick, help from a compressor to get the pistons out, rebuild and all good..!!..ya gonna paint 'em?...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

so i got a little ahead of myself and pulled off the calipers and brake lines before ejecting the pistons out of the calipers. is there any way to get them out now?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Hook them back to the system is the best, but sometimes air pressure if they aren't stuck bad. If 1 sticks, put a block of wood to hold the other in place while you get the stuck one out. I use a piece of wood or the brake pad(s) to stop them from going all the way out first to be sure they both are coming out OK. Then a rag to catch them.

Warning: KEEP YOUR FINGERS OUT OF THERE! Many have foolishly thought they'd stop the pistons with their fingers, WRONG! WARNING, DANGER WILL ROBINSON!

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Take a brake hose, hook up the caliper to the master cylinder, fill, bleed, and push out the pistons together. Make sure they come almost together. You can wedge something in the caliper to keep one steady while the other moves.

If you have an '80 or '81, then never mind the last couple of sentences, there's only one piston.

Some people say you can inject grease from a grease gun into a nipple screwed onto the caliper, but I wouldn't want the extra mess of cleaning grease out of the caliper. But it's certainly doable.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Compressed air sometimes works well. (in small doses)

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

may have to try the grease rout, everything is off the bke including the master cylinders and lines

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
imported post

It's hard to work on the brakes without an air compressor. Not only to push the pistons out once the caliper is removed, but to blow of parts once they are cleaned on a solvent.

If you are trying to reuse the caliper seals; have a clean small container the size of an ashtray with enough brake fluid and a tiny paint brush ( the size of a pencil) handy. Once you pull out the piston(s) imediately brush the seals with brake fluid. Once you pull the seals out, imediately soak them in the container. If you don't, they will deform almost instantly once in contact with the oxygen in the air. (Trick learned from one of my parts guys at Honda, who also wrenches on flat four GLs)

Going back to your compressorless issue, I would hook the caliper back to the banjo bolt and place one of the caliper mount bolts without tightening much and pump the pistons out BEFORE adding the mess of grease to the equation.

You could get a "starter" compressor for cheap (HF comes to mind). I personally went hunting for a compressor years ago on Craigslist and local pawn shops. Found a $300 compressor for $50 running fine. Just changed the oil, and it's been running since.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

If you don't have access to an air compressor, you need to hook the caliper back up to the brake line and pump the pistons out.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

BTW firebrick, just a suggestion. You have at least 3 front caliper threads running. It might be better to keep all the posts in one thread so some members won't think they are dupes and not read them. I think the moderators can merge all the threads into one for you, I've seen it done before.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

thanks for the advise, i wish I had a single post named brake help because ive run into some issues. if I have to end up going the grease gun route to get out the pistons, will the grease be cleaned out enough with brake cleaner?

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
imported post

I must admit, I didn't have a use for an air compressor until I needed to do some serious work on my 1200, now I don't know how I ever did "stuff" without one..and soon, it will help me to completely repaint my 1500..!!!(great price rgbeard..!!)

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

Bufallowing wrote:
You could get a "starter" compressor for cheap (HF comes to mind). I personally went hunting for a compressor years ago on Craigslist and local pawn shops. Found a $300 compressor for $50 running fine. Just changed the oil, and it's been running since.
The key thing to notice here is that it uses oil. The oil-less compressors work but are much louder and I don't think that they are made to last like the ones that take oil. Craigslist is a good way to find a smaller one for around $50-$60. The ones that are belt driven are the best but usually cost more.I know this is off topic but just my 2-cents. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

umm, so I used some air to get out the pistons, while I was doing it, the pad I was using as a spacer to catch the pistons fell out and one came out while the other is still deep in there. any suggestions now?

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
imported post

Any chance of an image of the "pad" (for the shape) and where it's lodged?...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.