Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Itinerant Wing Preacher
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My 83 Interstate has come down with a skip at 4000 RPM under load. It all started earlier this year when I got caught in a torrential rain. The bike would skip as I took off an clear up at speed. after it dried it quit skipping. Now it skips under load. We rode two up today and it got especially bad. It runs like a top under 3k though and fine up to around 65 in O/D. I changed the plugs last week and they looked decent with approx 5000 miles on them. I am looking for a way to determine if it is Ignition related or in the carbs. The carbs haven't been rebuilt in years if ever. And I really just don't have the extra cash for the good kits either. It also was harder than usual to start today. I have been contemplating the Dodge Neon coil mod discussed on the board earlier. I ran a 6 oz of seafoam in the last gas tank also.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Jay

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,588 Posts
imported post

High speed miss is usually electrical. Look for a plugged drain hole in the spark plug recesses. Also, take the shelter off and run the bike in a darkened room, looking for a coil or wire arcing.

·
Administrator
26,181 Posts
imported post

Almost 100% chance it is an ignition problem. Carbs don't need rebuilt if ridden regularly and you didn't get dirty fuel. Do the neon coil mod anyway, you will like the results.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
imported post

Check the coils for cracks. I have a couple of them with long cracks the length of the coil. It makes the engine run badly.

My cracked coils aren't on any bike.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i know my old coils missed when i rode in the rain causing a pretty good headache the neon mod wasnt available when this happend to me so i just bought a set off ebay

·
Itinerant Wing Preacher
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I upgraded the coils to the Neon setup. My skip mentioned previously here
is not totally fixed :whip: It now is skipping at full throttle, however it is quicker than ever to full throttle. I changed the fuel filter and hoses. The filter was dirty, but not stopped up.
Either the pump is getting weak or Carb trouble is rearing its ugly head. I'm gonna give it a snootfull of seafoam and hope. Jay

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

I have merged the two threads together for you Jay.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.