Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I was going to post this over on the Reference and FAQ forum because I have seen no reference to it here.

Season before last, I noticed a crack starting across the bottom of the right kneeplate of my Hondaline fairing, right about the time I noticed that it was shaking quite a bit more than I remembered.

I had recently done some work that involved taking the fairing loose from it's mounts, and figured I'd just forgotten to tighten up the mounting bolts. Checked it out, that wasn't it at all...In fact, I couldn't see any reason for it whatsoever.

There are alot of GL1100's in my area, and I started looking around at rides and rallies, and noticing that a fair majority of them were cracking out in the same place, but nobody seemed to know why. Caused me to assume that maybe after 25+ years, the palstic had just gotten weak and cracked out.

Did a quick epoxy with microballoons and fiberglass fiber repair to the inside, and all was right with the world again...for about 4000 miles, then the repair broke loose.

Pulled the fairing to do a more thorough repair and I found that the mount itself was loose. Ok, hit the visible bolts, all tight...but the mount still flopped around with little pressure. Finally chased the upper mounts to where they mount to the frame underneath the tank shell and found the nut in the picture below MISSING COMPLETELY.

Pulled the tank shell, replaced the nut with a nylon insert nut coated with purple Loc-Tite, fixed the fairing with some really heavy fiberglass cloth that I had from repairing a boat hull a few years back, and epoxy along the mount plate and rolled over to the inside...and all is right with the world again.

After that I started checking some of the bikes with the cracked out fairings that I still saw at rides and rallies, curling my fingers over the front of the tank shell and finding the end of the bolt...and no nut!

I've made it a point now that every time I get to talking to another gOldwinger, I mention this nut, and show them where it is. If it's still there, I recommend to them that they also replace the stock nut with at least a nylon insert nut the next time they're under the shell. If they don't want to do that, at LEAST put a wrench to it and make sure it's tight...It'll save your fairing!

Mike

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Nice tip!!

I'll check mine tonight.. As to whether it belongs in the Reference and FAQ section is up to the admin/moderators. Members can post to existing threads in thatforum but cannot add new topics.. (which is as it should be IMO:waving:) SDB/Jim

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Very good info for us that have older GW's. Definitly should go in the Reference and FAQ forum.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
imported post

Just had the shell off today to change the tach cable, run the wiring for an aux. power point and mount a GPS. Wish I'd read through this while I was having my coffee. At least it'll come apart easier this time. Thanks for the heads up!

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
imported post

My first Wing was an '83i and it cracked in the same place. I wonder if it was caused by the same reason? (Wish I could follow-up with this investigation...)

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I'd be willing to bet it was. :D

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

The 82 I'm getting is cracked in that spot, I will check that nut when I get it home. Then try to do some fiberglass work!:(

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Hope you caught it in time. If you have trouble finding heavy fiberglass cloth, give me a PM and I'll cut a swatch off the roll I have and send it to you.

Mike

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

UHmm one one of the bikes I sold had that..couldn't figure out why it was cracked as there were no signs of it being dropped otherwise..now I know.. Good info

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
imported post

Great info,mine is not cracked as of yet,but I will be sure to check that as soon as I can.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
imported post

Can you show a picture of where the crack occures...

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Actually, I happen to have the tank shell and lowers off the bike for other repairs at the moment, so I can show you where I first noticed cracking on the right kneeplate...

And I can show you the repair where the bottom of the fairing had cracked from the back of the mounting surface all the way to the front of the mounting surface before I figured out what was causing it.

Hope that gives you a better idea.

Mike

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

I fiberglass/epoxied mine. The cracks on the outward face are fiberglassed on the inside.

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

mine is cracked on the right side and it does shimmy alot around town and stuff i'll have to check mine if its missing im goind to have to macguyver up one or two

how do you repair the broken/missing plastic??? just expoxy compound for plastic and form one up and let it dry????

·
Registered
11 Posts
2005 GL1800 with crack

I have a 05 that I have had for about 5 months now and just noticed that I have a crack in the fairing just beneath the headlight on the right side. It has never been laid down and hit in that manner and I am curious as to what the warranty will cover that I paid extra to get.
I live in Des Moines Iowa and of course we have a our share of bumps, but nothing I would consider a catalyst for that sort of thing.

SG

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is just a make things EZer.. Anyone who has taken a Wing fairing off has had a fun time putting the right length shouldered bolt back in the right place. when you remove the fairing from the bike put the bolts in the removed part's unthreaded holes and use masking Tape to make '' tape flag '' on the bolts thread/shoulder so it doesn't pull/fall back through the mounting hole. the tape is EZ to pull off when reinstalling.. you don't lose bolts

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.