Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

1981 Goldwing 1100 that I’ve been trying to fix up. This is its current state. It won’t idle properly and eventually the engine kills itself at idle unless I adjust it to be above 1k. It pops like crazy and even shot a fireball at one point (the really loud pop on video). Please help me figure out what may be wrong or how to fix it.

·
Premium Member
6,630 Posts

1981 Goldwing 1100 that I’ve been trying to fix up. This is its current state. It won’t idle properly and eventually the engine kills itself at idle unless I adjust it to be above 1k. It pops like crazy and even shot a fireball at one point (the really loud pop on video). Please help me figure out what may be wrong or how to fix it.
First guess is the plug wores are not on right. See below. It will run on 2 cylinders if you put the wires on wrong. Could be the carbs are terribly out of sync but I think that is less likely

·
Administrator
26,168 Posts
Definitely has a dead miss. Could be as Mike said, plug wires on wrong.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First guess is the plug wores are not on right. See below. It will run on 2 cylinders if you put the wires on wrong. Could be the carbs are terribly out of sync but I think that is less likely

. View attachment 323870
Thank you! My coils do not have a left or right, its front or back. So I do not know how I should plug them in. Also, I did have one of my plugs switched it seems. So I have corrected it and will run the bike in the morning to see if it fixes the issue!

·
Administrator
26,168 Posts
Both wires to the front cylinders should go to the coil on the right, rear cylinders to the left, which terminal doesn't matter.

Reactions: redwing52

·
Premium Member
6,630 Posts
To follow up on what Dave was saying. The system used on your bike is called a wasted spark system. Therefore you can exchange wires #1 and #2 and it will make no difference as they share a coil. Also you can exchange wires #3 and #4 and it will make no difference as they also share a coil. If you exchange , for example #1 and #3 you will have issues as they should not/can not share a coil. It will only run on 2 cylimders and sound like a bucket of bolts. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To follow up on what Dave was saying. The system used on your bike is called a wasted spark system. Therefore you can exchange wires #1 and #2 and it will make no difference as they share a coil. Also you can exchange wires #3 and #4 and it will make no difference as they also share a coil. If you exchange , for example #1 and #3 you will have issues as they should not/can not share a coil. It will only run on 2 cylimders and sound like a bucket of bolts. :rolleyes:
View attachment 323871
Yup I had 2 and 4 switched which is why it sounded so horrible! Thank you all for the help! Unfortunately, now that it is much smoother the bike cannot idle below 3000 rpms before cutting out. Im thinking it has a really bad hang idle so when you start it the bike shoots up to 3k rpms, but then slowly drops back down to normal but because the idle screw is so low itll kill the engine and stall. Let me know what I can do, thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,630 Posts
Yup I had 2 and 4 switched which is why it sounded so horrible! Thank you all for the help! Unfortunately, now that it is much smoother the bike cannot idle below 3000 rpms before cutting out. Im thinking it has a really bad hang idle so when you start it the bike shoots up to 3k rpms, but then slowly drops back down to normal but because the idle screw is so low itll kill the engine and stall. Let me know what I can do, thanks!
A hanging idle is usually an indication of a lean fuel mixture. Did you do carb work? If so did you pay special attention to the low speed circuit. Very common for it to plug especially if the bike sat a long time. With the engine warm what happens if you add some choke? Does the engine RPM become more stable?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts