Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, please forgive me if this has been asked. I did a search and nothing came up. I recently purchased an 83 GL and know I should change the timing belts. While I have seen instructions for replacing the pulleys, I have never seen anything regarding maintenance of well functioning pulleys. Mine do not make any noise....and I would like to keep it that way. Should they be lubed or not? If so, should I use graphite, Teflon, or something else? Oil based lubes would probably attract dirt and dust and accelerate bearing failure I would think.

Any input is appreciated.

"The internet is truly a gift from above and has never failed in my search for reliable, factual information.". Abraham Lincoln 1862. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
How many miles on your Gold Wing? Nothing you can do for the idlers as far as maintenece. As long as the cam belt area is free from oil, or antifrrze the idlers should go a long ways. Mine had 147,000 on them when I took off the inspection cover looking for a antifreeze leak, and found rusted metal particles on the timing wheel underneath. Figured the idlers were worn out so bought a new set. When I took old idlers out they still felt good. Meybe the idlers were starting to fail. When you put the new belts in check the idler pulleys for free rolling action.
gumbyred

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
95K miles. I have not had it apart yet so I don't realty know what it looks like in there. I will take your thoughts under advisement. Thanks

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I wondered about that too on my 1200 when I changed the belts. I had one fail on a car once. Broke the serpentine belt, and the car had to be towed. Never made a squeak before it locked up. But the ones on the bike seemed fine, they turned freely, were not loose, and did not make any noise. Considering the cost, I opted to keep them. I put another 7,000+ miles on it, and something else broke down.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I was going to buy new idlers but after reading this, I'll leave 'em alone when I change the belts.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
I was going to buy new idlers but after reading this, I'll leave 'em alone when I change the belts.
It's definitely worth checking them while you're there but new is no guaranty against failure.

A friend had one seize on a new 85 at only 10,000 miles.
It started squealing and smelt of burning rubber but the belt didn't break.
Being under warranty the dealer told him ride it to the shop which he did, the idler was replaced but not the belt:lash: and he rode it for another 50,000 miles problem free before selling it.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
I just finished up rebuilding my 85" 1200 motor..and I replaced mine..as part of the preventative maint. but mine were still good? but after shelling out the money to rebuild th emotor..I figured I would go ahead.
But I have another motor (a 1200) that has some that are pretty rusted..I left them in the washer tank for a few days..they cleaned up and roll as good as the new ones do.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all of the input. Anything that rolls under that much heat and pressure had to have some sort of lub. I wonder wharf the factory uses at the time of production.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, idlers to be sure. That said, they are still required to spin....a bunch. I'm still trying to determine if any sort of preventive maintenance can be done AND be beneficial.

BTW, Gore was busy at the Alamo.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,918 Posts
They are sealed units. There is nothing you can or need to do to service them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
From all my looking around I suppose you are right about them being sealed units. I will take this off my list of things to do while I have it apart. A good inspection is in order and I will let it go at that. Thanks everyone for your input.:readit: < my list

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.