·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

finally got both trikes through the mot :cheesygrin:

still having trouble with one of them not running well,

took it to the local bike garage and he suggested electrical,

i still thought it was carbs but i followed his lead and took the igniters and coils,leads and plugs from my running bike and not much change,so went with the gut and took the carbs aswell and still no better.

put everything back to its original bike and the was running bike has now developed a "cough" so think i have an airleak somewhere.

not till thinking afterwards i realised the inlets getting too hot to touch wasnt right,i have replaced the head gaskets and done the valve stem oil seals and had the rear casing of to clean and paint so the question is have i put something on wrong or backwards or upsidedown or had spares i shouldnt have?

many thanks in advance,Bash

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
imported post

I haven't heard of that before Bash. Usually it's the exhaust headers get hot when the engine is running lean.
To check the air leak, spray some brake or carb cleaner around the intakes.

·
Administrator
26,157 Posts
imported post

I am thinking that if the cams were advanced one tooth it could do that. As the pistons come to the top on the exhaust stroke and the intake valve begins to open earlier than it should it might be blowing some exhaust into the intakes.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Dave could be right. You might want to check the timing belts line up properly with the marks.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

i think that was were i was heading next but nice to have a couple of others suggest the same with the timing.
am i on the right track with the coughing and backfiring from the running bike with the airleak?
thanks again guys,Bash

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
imported post

2 trikes thats being a glutton for punishment

Airleak will cause the backfire, I've got slight ones on my exhaust headers but quite like the backfire.

Good luck with your cough

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

a glutton for punishment is an understatement,been married 17 years was easier.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
imported post

If you are talking about the elbows that attach to the head, they will get hot. They are attached to the head. Mine are hot as soon as the engine runs for a few minutes. If this is not what you mean, "Nevermind".

John

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

yes i do mean those elbows but it was red hot in a matter of seconds and my other bike gets warm but you couldnt touch these.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Hmm. Sounds like my regulator. Everybody agrees they get warm, but mine gets hot enough to cause a burn in 2 seconds. I would say those elbows getting hot is normal, but I recently had my intake system completely apart, and those elbows actually have a rubber 0-ring between them and the head, they also have rubber boots on them, about an inch from the head (my LTD is fuel injected, may be different from carbs), and you can't use rubber that close to intense heat. it was my impression that is the valve timing was off by even one tooth, you would have pistons and valves fighting it out, but that could be wrong. To me, overheating is usually caused by the ignition timing being off, a problem with the cooling system, or most likely, a lean mixture. I have destroyed the top ends on 2 MX bikes by running them with partially clogged main jets, causing a lean mixture.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

just checked the timing and its spot on,for lean mixture i was using carbs off another bike that runs well ut i suppose that dosent rule out any air leaks.
gonna check the valve gaps tomorrow but really still just scratching my head

·
Administrator
26,157 Posts
imported post

basher wrote:
just checked the timing and its spot on
Is that the ignition timing or the cam timing, 2 different things.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

cam timing,according to the haynes manual the ignition timing is set by honda and theres no adjustment.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.