Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just bought my first Gold Wing with 27,000 miles on it, Nice clean bike and had a good life 31 years.

Problem....... I have checked the charging system out, stator contanuity and ground, stator conection left of battery, tested volt and amprage at main fuse under various RPMs and drain conditions, new starter, new starter relay and everything checks out Aokay.......sometimes it cranks over and starts very easily with fresh charged battery.......but after I ride it or let the bike idle for a while the it seems as if the battery (new GEL) goes weak and the starter will not crank.....all conections from the battery to starter and ground are good with good wires.

Even though the charging test seem Aokay.....something is funky and I can't figure it why a new battery is going weak 12.4 volts with no amperage to turn the starter over.

There is also no drain on the battery when the bike is off and the bike is stock 100%.

any clues?

thanks

mrclean:dance:

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
imported post

I could be that you are partially hydrolocking your engine when you park it on the side stand. When on the side stand, the carbs will drain fuel into the cylinders which halts the engine when it cranks.

Always shut off your fuel pet **** when the bike is parked and, park it on the center stand as much as possible.

At least that's my story.

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
imported post

I could be that you are partially hydrolocking your engine when you park it on the side stand. When on the side stand, the carbs will drain fuel into the cylinders which halts the engine when it cranks.

Always shut off your fuel pet **** when the bike is parked and, park it on the center stand as much as possible.

At least that's my story.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Very interesting, I did not know that, and I will follow your instructions, however, I usually do use the center kickstand frequently,so there must be something else. Have you ever seen an attachment that goes onto the center kick stand which gives your foot more area to push down on as you lift the bike up and backward.

thanks

·
Village Whack Job...
7,907 Posts
imported post

Could be a defective battery. I know you said it's new but sometimes they are bad out of the box. This seems to happen a lot more with the gel batteries than with conventional lead acid batteries. Which is one of the reasons why I won't use them.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Interesting........I do have a acid battery which I think is good.......inwhich I have encoutered the same problem with the GL difficulty in cranking at times........I will take them both down to the Auto parts store and have them checked out..........Acid Battery's I am told, have more cold cranking amps than a Gel.

I was going to check out the rectifier.....I saw a simple test for it online

Also open and observe the electrical connections and clean them out if needed

double check and any secondary grounds I can find

since I have the origional relay....I was going to figure out where to jump the start button as an additional test.

I'd appreciate if you'd would let me know if you think of anything else

thanks

Raymond

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Welcome and congrats on your bike!

Also, you may have a dirty starter. put it on the side stand to remove, it's not necessary to remove motor as manual says.
The brushes leave residue in there and you just need to refresh the starter. Do check the regulator too.
If if continues, check for hydrolock, caused by sticking float valves, pull the plugs to see if the cylinder(s) are filled w/gas.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Have you changed the gas filter and made sure the tank has no rust in it or dirty, sediment?
Napa has a clear body gas filter to keep an eye on it better, you still have to look at it. Napa 3011 @ $5 rather than $20-$25 from a stealer, opps, Honda Dealer.

Edit
DO NOT USE AN EMGO GAS FILTER!
They have been found to fall apart and clog the carbs.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Napa 3011

Does this fuel filter you mentioned actually fit correctlyinto the GL1100 cradle that holds it in place?

I ask because the picture on line looks like the filter is too wide for the cradle to hold?

Or did you not have the cradle on your bike?

Raymond

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks

I have a new starter on the bike.

Checking the regulator the next main move.

mrclean

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

The Napa filter is a hair bigger. I had to reform the clamp a little but it does work.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

your cables might be rotten and grounds are prob not up to parr.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

I have yet to remove the seat and sheild

Next warm day as I am in Michigan

Maybe this weekend, I will take a look at the wires, wire connections and grounds.

I have cleaned the main frame ground already

--------------

Yesterday I did encounter a second problem

After letting it idle on the center stand for an hour+

I wanted to test the charging at idle

Outside on a cold winter day

It leaked Antifreeze

Fortunately I temperature guage did not over heat

though it was high

Surprized that the fan did not kick on as it did so in the past

So I ordered a Honda water pump and gasket kit

Probably should order a sending unit switch for the fan

I also want to see exactly where the antifreeze leaked out of.

Have a good New Year!

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

While you are into that replace the thermostat and hoses. Look under GW Tips on the right side of the main menu for aftermarket parts available.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

thank you for that tip about tips at the home page

I am a new memeber and gold wing owner

thanks

happy new year!:dance::dance:

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

We learn, so to pass on and share with others that they may learn, so to pass on and share.............

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Would you please give me instructions how to remove the shelter off a GL1100?

I have the seat off the bike and the two rear bolts to the shelter, it is the front of the shelter that is giving me the problem.

thank you

clean

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

There are two bolts at the very front bottom of that shelter, take a flash light and look for them, they are not the easiest to get to nor put back in but you will see its going to take a long extension to reach them..Good luck...

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Pull the lower fairing pieces, 3 screws.
Up at the front of the shelter, under the fairing bracket are 2 bolts, 1 either side.
Then pull up back and spread apart the front section as you are lifting it out.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.