Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day to all !
Now that my son is grown up and can look after himself, i am returning to the wonderfull world of motorcycles. The wife and i bought a GL1100 Interstate and rebuilt the complete bike. I just cannot get the carbs right !!!!!!!! Is there any way i can bench test the carbs? Thank u in advance

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
You can bench test the float level by attaching hose to a fitting installed in the reservoir drain or watching for gas welling up into the throat. The hose is better as you can make sure all the levels are the same.

You can also do a preliminary carb synch by using a feeler gauge or small drill bit shank to set all the throttles to close to the same opening.

If you fill the carbs and then operate the throttle you maybe be able to determine if the accelerator pump is working.
That's about all I can think of. Perhaps others can add something.

What issue makes you believe you have a carb problem?

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Hi SA Goldie and welcome to the forum. Please describe the symptoms you see in detail. It is likely someone on here has seen the problem before and will be able to help.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies ! I have done ALL the the tests as per the Haynes manual, but i just cannot get all four cylinders to fire. Bought a set of second hand carbs and the guy promised me they good. Stuck them in and started the bike. Nr 3 and 4 exhaust headers stays cold. When i spray a bit of carb cleaner down the plenum, the bike picks up revs and the exhaust headers heat up instantly. I have rigged up the vacuum gauges and all 4 carbs are perfectly balanced !

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Just checking right side is f1-r3 and left side is f2-f4. If it is truly the rear two cylinders that are cold, I would investigate spark from the coil and or spark units for those two cylinders. If it works with spray, then it could be a weak spark to those two cylinders. If they're not firing, then your sync means nothing as it may be synched to two dead cylinders.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks ekvh, i thought the same thing, but have swapped the spark units and the coils, new spark plugs and still those two cylinders stay cold

·
Administrator
27,899 Posts
Unless those carbs are off a recently running engine there is a good chance the slow jets are plugged. It does not take but several months for gasoline to turn to varnish if left to sit in the bowls.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Are you absolutely sure the cylinders are firing? You can easily see if you have an inductive timing light. Put the pickup on the suspect cable--it won't trigger if not.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
The fact that the cylinders pick up when you spray cleaner in ..has to be carb issue..bowls not filling, floats set wrong, clogged jet(s). Try opening the drain ports and collect fuel that comes out..should be at least 1 1/2 oz...I THINK!! do the tube test described above..bike on level ground..and standing upright..screw 1/4" tubes into the drain ports, attach alternate fuel source(plastic bottle with tube stuck through the cap will do) to the intake line(remove from the fuel pump end, easiest way. The level of the fuel should be just below the lip of the bowl. If that's Ok then it has to be clogged jet..given your sucess with the spray bottle of cleaner. so time to pull the carbs and clean the jets..note the jets have side ports which can not be clean unless the jet is pulled.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks RB,
Time to pull the carbs..............AGAIN! Unfortunetely there is not many experts on this issue in Durban

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Are the slow jets threaded so you can pull them out and clean them? There is a hole through the center of the jet which must be open (see picture) it is very tiny, maybe one strand from a fine wire brush. Second picture shows the main jet on the left and the slow jet on the right.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Since your slow jets are not threaded and you cannot pull them out like I did for the picture, all you can do is take a single strand from a fine wire brush and run it through the hole. You will be able to tell when you push the wire through the hole. I don't know what carburetor cleaners you have available. If you have Berryman's B12 (Don't get this stuff on the paint) fill the jet with it and let it sit overnight. Another trick that has been used with some success is to boil the carburetors for about 30 minures in water with a pint of vinegar to help loosen things up then blow everything out with compressed air.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
I've used the boiling technique with great success. There are lots of situations on an old Wing where heat is the best tool available, and this is definitely one of them. 30 minutes at a low boil in distilled water (I haven't used the vinegar, but have heard that a slightly acidic bath can help). Make sure you pull the air cutoff valves and diaphragms first, or you may damage them. They may make it through the boiling bath OK, but they're expensive as all doodie if they get damaged and need to be replaced. Its likely that boiling will also loosen up gunk in some of the other passages. Its the way to do carbs right.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks to all for the replies and advice. I have seen on another website that it is possible to remove the slow jets with a self tapping screw. I have tried doing this with great success ! This goldwing is purring like a kitten!

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Thanks for reply that it's running great. Enjoy it now!

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Congratulations on getting her going. And thanks for letting us know. Now go ride and have fun.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.