Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

GL1100 Interstate - Ignition Coil Primary Resistance question

Checking my coils, the primary resistance is about 2.4 ohm on each, yet the Honda service manual states it should be 0.4 ohm. Mine do not appear to have the extra resistor in the circuit, so I am wondering if the .4 ohm coil is to be paired with the resistor? Am I missing something in the manual?

Seems like my sparks are weak.

As far as I know, the coils are the original parts.

I appreciate your input!

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
imported post

Could be resistance in your meter.You require a multi-meter with a very high impedance(internal resistance)for most auto type applications these days or you will get false readings.Thats why some meters are very expensive.Before you get a reading from the coils touch your two leads together and that will give you the resistance of the meter and leads(could be your extra 2 ohm's).Subtract that from your final reading to get the true resistance of the circuit.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

0.4 ohm is a correct resistance for the 1100... and all 1100s (as far as I know) use a resistor in the circuit.. BUT for early 1100s, the resistor is in the sparkunit (not external)... for later 1100s, the resistor in the sparkunit was bypassed and an external resistor was used...

From where to where are you measuring resistance? the 0.4 is just the coil, not any wire, connections (or the ballast resistor)...

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Yes, I was reading 2.8 on the coil terminals, and .4 touching the probes together. It's a cheap digital type, bought this year. Both coils read the same within .1 of each other...

Sorry to say there are cracks near the top of each coil about 1" long.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

KRPerry wrote:
Yes, I was reading 2.8 on the coil terminals, and .4 touching the probes together. It's a cheap digital type, bought this year. Both coils read the same within .1 of each other...

Sorry to say there are cracks near the top of each coil about 1" long.
It is a little puzzling as I would more likely expect lower readings (for shorted windings) and much higher readings (for open windings)... I think theGL1000 used coils with resistance like you measure (but with a point (kettering) type ignition)... Is it possible that you have GL1000 coils?.. (just throwing ideas around.... I don't have the answer)... and since both coils are suspiciously the same, I'd borrow another meter.. that could be the issue..

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Very possible, I am not the original owner. (Even if I was, I could have forgeten what I did anyway!) Thanks Jim!

Maybe I can find a little radio-shack resistor or something to check my meter, maybe a 4 ohm speaker./

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,186 Posts
imported post

4 ohm speakers do not measure "4" ohms DC resistance.

That is an "Impedance" value, or A/C resistance equivalent.

·
Administrator
26,559 Posts
imported post

If you see cracks in the coils they are bad anyway so just find replacements and forget the OHM readings. Checking coils by resistance is not a very reliable indicator of their condition. I have seen several bad coils that the resistance values were within normal range.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
4 ohm speakers do not measure "4" ohms DC resistance.

That is an "Impedance" value, or A/C resistance equivalent.
Ignition coils.. not speakers..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.