Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just by looking at a GL1100 how do you tell the difference between the models.

I will be looking at one to buy tomorrow. The guy don't know for sure what year or model, just that is is a GL1100 and it has bags and trunk and faring. 39.000 miles too .

He is talking $2000.00

I will ride it tomorrow .

Any help knowing what to look for would be good.

I know the GL1000 but never been on a GL1100.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
imported post

Does he not have a title for it? If not the year is on the bike but sometimes hard to see. It should be on the frame where the fork tube goes through. Aspencade is usually more decked out than the Interstate. My Avatar is our 1983 Interstate if that helps any.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I will see the bike tomorrow and will look at the neck. I think after a lot of research I hav a handle on it.

Nice bike by the way ( yours)

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

The Aspencade will have onboard air compressor . 82 Aspy has the compressor controls on the faux tank top . 83 has them on the handlebar/ignition switch plate .

The standard is plain motorcycle , no plastics .

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

GL1100, GL1100 I or GL1100 A will be printed on the neck. Base, Interstate, Aspencade.

'80-81 no Aspencades. '80 made in Japan, '81-83 made in USA. Interstate and Aspencade will not have a HONDA logo on the side of the fuel tank shelter. Saddle bags should have logo reflecting Interstate or Aspencade. Aspencades had two-tone paint schemes. Interstate and GL had mono-tone paint schemes.

There are a multitude of other differences but, this should help you determine if what you see is what you are getting.

·
Administrator
26,534 Posts
imported post

There have been a lot of standards converted to dressed and a lot of dressed wings converted to standards. The only way to know what it started life as is look at the tag on the steering head, if it has GL1100 only, it is/was a std. if it has GL1100i it is/was an interstate, if it has GL1100a it is/was an aspencade.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

the standard was a bare bike.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I will know for sure in a couple of hours. I will take some pictures . The guy says it has bags and faring and trunk.
Of course they coud be vetter I guess. Thanks for all the help .

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I just got back from a ride on that bike. 1981 GL1100 interstate. with lots of chrome and bells and whistles. He had not rode it in a year ( but did start it now and again).It cranked for a while , then came to life. ran really good. just shy of 40,000 miles. He wants $2000 or offer that is not an insult. ( he is a co-worker) The things wrong are: paint very sun faded rear caliper stuck on when applied ignition switch has to be "just right" to come on needs lots of plishing and cleaning.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Attachments

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Any help with what it might be worth ? I think he would take $1700 maybe $1800

Attachments

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Is that what is called "candy muse red" ?

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

yep a interstate model. what happened to the fairing lowers ? both right and left . you might get away with just cleaning the rear master cylinder (return hole pluged). i would offer 1700 , but have 1800 just incase.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

He does not have lowers did the interstate come with them?

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

I don't believe Honda sold any half fairings for the Wings, I think yours are missing...:gunhead:

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
imported post

Yep, Missing the lower fairings. I wouldn't want to give anymore than 1500 based on the mechanical and cosmetic condition.

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
imported post

I like the $1500 dollar range. Looks like a lot of cleaning and painting are in this bikes future.

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

$1,000 absolute max ....

Well, after skimming the local Craigs lists it seems that I am a bit out of touch on how much crap is going for these days.....

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
imported post

It would be better with the lower fairings. Remember that's where the radiator shrouds are.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.