Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have stripped my GL1100 engine into little pieces as it was burning oil badly on both left hand cylinders . The cylinders have been in the machine shop and re-lined back to standard and the right hand side also been given treatment whilst at it. The cylinder heads have been overhauled and new timing belts will be fitted as a matter of course.

All internal bearing are hardly worn and the clutch is in excellent condition with no wear on the friction plates or the grooves. The final drive shock absorbered has been taken to pieces and the spring is OK with no wear at all on the shock-adsorber at all.

I have removed and inspected the Primary drive rubber cush bushes and measured them against a new sample and they are fine with no backlash in the assembled unit.

The HYVO primary chain however had 25 mm ( 1inch) slack in it andI have purcased a new one ready for the rebuild with new piston rings as well as all half shellbearings for big ends and main bearings and for good measure a ball bearing on the rear end of the main crankshaft. The gearbox is fine with no damage and all bearing in it in good condition.

So.................... Could it have been the HYVO chain being very very slack that caused the juddering type vibration???????

Any ideas please? as I do not want to strip it all down again after reinstalling the engine in the frame??

Thanks

David

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
imported post

How sure are you the chain is worn out David? They last for very high miles, more than what you have in your profile.
Fit the new chain and check the slack against your old one.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Tom,
The wear tolerance on the HYVO ( Morse) chain o0n these machines is not stated anywhere and I have seen a lot of information by Goldwing owners on the various websites. A chap called Old Fogey seems partucularly knowedgebable and nhe has also found difficulty finding standard re wear. Basically the slack is 25mm on the old chain and next to nothing on the new one. Comparing one against the other the old chain is 2mm longer so its worn.But what is the definition of worn? My GL1100 has an engine from 1980 and engines in the early 80's had many not published minor changes. For example mine does not have the Oil catch plate around the bottom of the HYVO chain and the casting has no bolt holes to fix on anyway. My GL1000 has the Oil catch plate though. ODD??? Thanks for your interest.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
imported post

My 1200 shudders under load if I try to roll the throttle on under 2500 rpm. Not at all like a long stroke v-twin which pull from 1200 rpm.
Bobby

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

The bike judders when the engine is under a small load in any gear. I have tried the same teat with my GL1000 and its fine.
I hope it is the HYVO chain as for the life of me I cannot fund anything else wrong in the engine which may point to the problem.
Do you think I should have another more intense look at the final drive at the rear wheel??? I must admit it seems OK with no backlash in it?
Assistance appreciated

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Moffat wrote:
The bike judders when the engine is under a small load in any gear. I have tried the same teat with my GL1000 and its fine.
I hope it is the HYVO chain as for the life of me I cannot fund anything else wrong in the engine which may point to the problem.
Do you think I should have another more intense look at the final drive at the rear wheel??? I must admit it seems OK with no backlash in it?
Assistance appreciated
I would suspect the carburetors or the ignition rather than the chain, heck it could even be low compression in the cylinders that were burning oil.

When under load everything from the crankshaft to the rear wheel should also be under load but if the engine is running unevenly it will load and unload the drive train "judder".

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
imported post

I'd give the carbs some consideration. when you roll on the throttle if one cylinder was drawing more fuel than the others , it could cause a lot of vibration. The carbs might a thorough cleaning .

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks for the input,this is a strage one. Before I stripped the engine down it was running very well indeed inspite of the smoke from the two left hand cylinders. In fact the engine at tickover was less noisy than my re furbished G1000 which has no HYVO chain spring loaded slack take up device. I have carefully balanced the carburetters on both machines using the vacuum gauges I have as am aware that this can cause a lot of problems particularly at the tickover speed of 950 RPM.

The judder would go away as I slipped the clutch and increased revs so I suspected the clutch being rough but its perfect. I suppose the only real way to find out is to put it all back together and hope !!!!

I think I have looked at all the obvious and was thus wondering if the excessive slack in the primary chain could be the culprit. I even suspected that one side of the engine had been rebored only causing unbalance due to different piston sizes but its not the case as they were all standard size. Will give feedback after assembly and testing in the frame.

Thanks again David

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.