Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

got my spark problem all ironed out runnin good thought to myself jeez about time dang near replaced everything on it until i said it the old girl was running smooth as a babies a**

my dad was tailing me and all of a sudden she shuttered kinda odd i waved my dad back im going to stop held the clutch in and KABAM sparks flew out of the right hand tail pipe according to my dad and boy oh boy did i feel it

about one half second after that it ran on 2 cylinders instead of four

got stopped had almost fire comming out of the right hand tail piped hit the kill switch and it didnt die kept on revving up boy you should seen me lol i ripped the battery out of the bike with my bare hands and still kept revving to 5 6 7 8 and then 9000rpms i tried getting it in a high gear to dump the clutch to get the engine to die but kept grinding too high of rpms and it started knocking and banging bad i mean BAD other bikes could hear it and they were going the other direction it was still in neutral i jumped off the bike and my dad and i headed for the ditch and KABLOOIE the engine KABLOOIED

it went from 9000 plus rpms to 0 in a ball of smoke and fire coming out of the tail pipes got it home on the trailer and i found that i think one of the electrodes of the spark plug came loose and bounced in the cylinder wedging itself in the intake valve on one cylinder i think and thats why it wouldnt shut down with the kill switch kept sucking air in even after i cut off the fuel but the 1100's and 1200s will run for a minute or two until the bowls drain so by that time i couldnt do anything but watch and tears came to my eyes as she kablooied

ive had this experience on a series 60 detroit engine and it ran away on me went from 700 rpms to 5000rpms and that one kablooied too

so im at a crossroad what do i do

i can get another 1100 that runs good and use the old girl for parts

or i can buy a used 1100 motor and put it the old girl

i truly do love the 1100 ive looked at 2 or 3 1200's and i just dont care for them too much too much blah and too much junk on them i like the 1100 for its plain and simple no bs just a ferring and hard boxes the 1200's have onboard air compressors digital dash display i suppose if i have to i'll get one but if i can avoid it i'll try to get an 1100

i dont think anything on the motor is salvageable internally and the worst part is is that i just put the spark plugs in brand new when i fixed the spark problem bought them from the honda dealership still have the recipt and after this all happed i went back today and they said oh well not our problem must have been FAULTY equipment

and improper instellation i contacted honda direct and am impatiantly waiting on the call i shall never recieve

a sad sad sad few days in the peterbilt house

my wife said i look like one of the kids just died

well i feel it to be true

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

:(Man that sucks!!!!

Look on fleabay and pick up a motor to put in.....

Good luck on getting it back up and going, or getting you another!!

On the 1200's. I think some of the models did not have all the digital stuff. I really liked the one I got when I went from the 1100's. It did ride better....but to each his own:action:

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

tell me about sucking it feels like someone did me up the butt with no lube we'll see what happens

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,337 Posts
imported post

It was still running with the kill switch off and the battery out? :?:baffled::?

1200 Interstate is what you want. Most people say they're faster, more comfortable and handle better than the 1100.

Although, if I were in your shoes I think I'd be looking for a 1500. Parts for the fours are getting hard to find.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

Maybe a member on here will have a 1100 engine laying around for a decent "brother in law" price for you...

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
imported post

Just how much life insurance are you worth???? A diesel can do that, but a gas engine can't. Sleep well my friend.:coollep:

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
imported post

peterbilt wrote:
ive had this experience on a series 60 detroit engine and it ran away on me went from 700 rpms to 5000rpms and that one kablooied too
I watched this happen on a DD 16V149 series, it wasnt pretty! Although we were all amazed that that 149 got up to 5800 rpm before exploding.

I am taking out a running '81 engine next month and transplanting it with an '83 engine. I think the '81 might need bearings, but it runs non-stop. Engines on ebay come up all of the time and they are real easy to transplant. I got my '81 engine from a wrecked bike. The whole bike was only $400 and I got great parts and extras with the deal.

Gerry

<{{{><

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

It sucks for sure. You'll get a better one.jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

Im really sorry to hear this man (well, read). i hope you can get a replacement engine for a decent price and get her back on the road asap.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

i just put so much money into it fixing it up i think you guys are right i'll see if i can find a good engine the repair shop has one used and said it came out of a bike with 50,000 miles and ran very good showed me the compression tests and everything the bike was wrecked for 500bucks it can be mine its been siting for 3 yrs in the corner i told them for 500 bucks i want them to put new timing belts on it the bad thing is sitting that long with out running the valve seals, piston rings and everything may have rusted or dried up and will eventually fail

if i buy that one i would almost have to rebuild it i dont know if i could trust it you know.

i paid 700 for the old girl and i have right now 2100 in it and that includes the buying price

i went and looked at a 86 1200 aspy this morning

guy wants 3100 it needs
two tires, 2 mufflers, clutch master cylinder rebuild, windshield, complete tune up including carb balance, timing belts have never been done seince he's owned it for 6 yrs.

it ran bad just needed tuned i bet
guy was desperate for money and i dont like taking advantage of people but i know a bad deal when i see it

i offered him 1500 i thought i was a "fair" price considering all the work it needs we settled on 1700 and i told him i would think about it. and call him back in a few days

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Now THAT is one Crazy Story there!

That Bike was telling you it's had its last Ride...

·
Premium Member
3,795 Posts
imported post

Keep the old girl alive! For the same $1700 you could have a perfect 1100 motor & you already know & love the rest of the bike.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

if an engine "runs away" i does it on diesel motors this is the frist time ive seen it on a gas motor

a valve has to have a hole in it an intake valve is what ive seen on the diesels so i havent gotten the motor apart yet but i did pull the spark plugs and one of the electrodes was missing hence it probably either broke a piece off the valve or go into it and wedged it open

when this happens you can turn off the spark, fuel and even remove the battery once the rpms climb it starts pulling oil from the engine through the gap between the piston and cylinder wall burning that sometheimes the motor run backwards when this happes sometimes not the only way you can killl it is to block the intake and on a goldwing you have to take 20minutes and remove the lower skirting, seat and false tank, air cleaner houseing by that time i'd be a burned cookie
my dad has seen run aways on gas motors when he used to race cars you see it more on diesels because the compression is MUCH higher so its easier for that to happen
but my dad told me that once in awhile it does happen on gas motors and this was one of those times

mcgovern61 sounds like he's seen this happen before you have NO TIME to react the only way to kill a runaway is to cut off the air intake ive thrown phone directories in diesel motors before and that didnt even phase it just chommped it up and kept running

you can put a clip board over it but if it sucks your hand it watch out you skin would almost peel off your bones

i cant explain it any better than that its what happend as plain as im sitting here typing the story

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

That motor was H O T !

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

sounds like that aspy needs lots of love. Dennis is right, if you don't like all the toys, get the Interstate. I'd offer to deliver mine, but I think I sold it this morning...waiting on Mama's approval.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
imported post

dan filipi wrote:
Pretty bizzare story! Strange how a gasoline engine could continue to run without spark, there must be something more to this.
Gasoline engines can run w/o spark if carbon deposit on pistons or heads is thick enough. Deposit can be red hot. This deposit can be cleaned by some gas additives.
I suspect his throttle got stuck.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
imported post

Oh yeah, it can happen on a gas engine. Carbon build up gets hot, excessive oil burning in the engine, even a tiny dimple in the combustion chamber of the head can cause dieseling.....the edges will get red hot while running and provide an ignition source. Soon as something comes apart like the spark plug end, or whatever........it hits the head, creates a dimple, then more damage occurs as it bounces around.

For future reference..........if you get a run away like that...........hold the rear brake down as hard as you can and upshift it into the highest gear and let out the clutch.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Bish wrote:
For future reference..........if you get a run away like that...........hold the rear brake down as hard as you can and upshift it into the highest gear and let out the clutch.
There aint nothing safe about that at 9,000 RPMs....

Anyways, If you read his post you could see that he tried that....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.