Not open for further replies.
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
imported post

CaptainMidnight85 wrote:
Bish wrote:
For future reference..........if you get a run away like that...........hold the rear brake down as hard as you can and upshift it into the highest gear and let out the clutch.
There aint nothing safe about that at 9,000 RPMs....

Anyways, If you read his post you could see that he tried that....
There isn't much you can do that is completely safe.........

I've had more than one 2-smoker run away.....you got to kill it before it climbs that high................

If the kill switch doesn't work, don't screw with the battery. Turn off the fuel petcock and kill it with the tranny. And don't be gentle.

I've seen 'em split a head apart.........nothing safe about a few lbs of aluminum flying around at 700 fps.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

You are right...

Aint much that can put someone into a frantic-mode like this situation.

I'd hate to see a motor go south from a stuck cable or some other simple problem because the clutch got dumped at 9K RPM with the wheel locked.

It's a no load rev and would probably not explode into a million pieces.

But yeah, you're right, at that particular moment, with his particular circumstances, stopping the revs would have been the primary effort. Lot of things to toss around in a very, very short amount of time.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
imported post

well i kicked it around for a few days went and looked at a few 1200's for sale locally and i wasnt impressed too much junk on it in my opinion went and looked at a 2000 kawasaki venture 1500cc looked almost exactly like my dads fatboy but i didnt want an open front bike i love the ferring it has its benifits and downfalls but i like it

i removed the motor took out my new stator i just put in it
started looking for a motor and a buddy of mine his uncles cousins brothers fathers nephew had and old gl1100 in his garage just sitting there no title he said it was his dads and its been sitting for 8 yrs or so unused he told me if i can get it home i can have it no charge well i got it home stripped the motor out of it went through it did the timing belts pulled the heads did the valve seals checked the valves cleaned up the heads and cylinders did the piston rings and everything only took about a day to rebuild it no problems really i didnt get into the tranny too much hopefully i didnt shoot myself in the foot but i installed it and i tell ya it runs great almost better than my original one the bike said 23,ooo miles on it from what the guy said his dad bought the bike rode it a few summers and never rode it much after that

so i have a spare parts bike laying there for extra yummies to use when i need them im just glad i got it back together and running

rebuilding it i think i put 150dollars in it or so not alot really
thanks to all for the input and insite i appreciate it greatly

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

:clapper::clapper::clapper:Good show!!!!!!

Glad your back up and running!!!:action:

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
imported post

well in my defense i didnt blow the other one up
things just happen

·
Premium Member
3,795 Posts
imported post

Glad you get the old girl alive! For $150 & some of your labor she's up & running again. Now use the extra funds you saved & treat her to nice long run.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
Well, that is good news. Now don't blow this one up...

nice...

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
imported post

Make sure your throttle cable is moving freely and it will not get stuck.

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
imported post

Very good read, and happy results. Long Live the Wing!!!:):)

Dave

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

peterbilt wrote:
well i kicked it around for a few days went and looked at a few 1200's for sale locally and i wasnt impressed too much junk on it in my opinion went and looked at a 2000 kawasaki venture 1500cc looked almost exactly like my dads fatboy but i didnt want an open front bike i love the ferring it has its benifits and downfalls but i like it

i removed the motor took out my new stator i just put in it
started looking for a motor and a buddy of mine his uncles cousins brothers fathers nephew had and old gl1100 in his garage just sitting there no title he said it was his dads and its been sitting for 8 yrs or so unused he told me if i can get it home i can have it no charge well i got it home stripped the motor out of it went through it did the timing belts pulled the heads did the valve seals checked the valves cleaned up the heads and cylinders did the piston rings and everything only took about a day to rebuild it no problems really i didnt get into the tranny too much hopefully i didnt shoot myself in the foot but i installed it and i tell ya it runs great almost better than my original one the bike said 23,ooo miles on it from what the guy said his dad bought the bike rode it a few summers and never rode it much after that

so i have a spare parts bike laying there for extra yummies to use when i need them im just glad i got it back together and running

rebuilding it i think i put 150dollars in it or so not alot really
thanks to all for the input and insite i appreciate it greatly
PB, that is great news. Things sure do happen in strange ways. Glad to hear you are back up & mobile & for 150 is incredible.:action::action::action::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
imported post

One time when a Cummins wound up (throttle spring broke) with the cab up o slapped a Motor's Manual over the intake. It just used it for an air filter. My next move was to trace the linkage and I found the spring problem before it blew, I can't remember why the governer failed.
On a Detroit 671 I just slapped off the emgergency, but that can suck all the seals out of the blower.
Very exciting when oe winds up.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Good grief. You tore an engine down and installed it in a day? You're my hero!

It took me an entire weekend to rebuild my carbs...

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
imported post

its not like its rocket science i did the stator in the old motor in about 5hrs or so removed the engine ect honda offered me a job lol cuz they qoted me 10hrs i said [email protected]@
i can do it in about half that and i did

besides when i put it back together i used antisieze on all the bolts so they just slid out

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
imported post

I used to have a 74 Kawasaki KX450 ONE Big 2 STROKE 1 cylinder, and and long after I married I would every year pull out of the garage and put a little new pre mix in and wheelie up and down the street like a dumb kid until after about ten years it had developed an unknown intake air leak on the rubber between the carb and engine. I had a friend over who rode with me in our teens and he had the same exact bike back then but now long gone. we liked to reminisce the old MX days, Any way he had lost his foot in an accident and was doing well as a amputee rider now with big GL's.Plastic foot .. well we decide to start her up agian he got on board I pushed .. It snorted a time or two and then went hard and fast and wide open I saw him mashing his prosthetic foot hard on the brake but no time the dead end of the road was coming and full of trees. That bike once passed a Corvette doing 100 on a back road and we pushed started it in third gear. So like a champ he sped into the neighbors front lawn and pulled the clutch and mashed the rear brake and laid on its side fast and then stood up as the motor was racing wild now he mashed down the brake and popped the clutch a couple times part way to slow it down and then all the way which killed it. Kill switch was a wire on the handle bar that if I touched to the bar it died, to hard to get to. He didn't let the motor blow and didn't get hurt thankfully!! Point being Brake Hard clutch in and in a high Gear let out the clutch slow it will kill the biggest diesel and surely a motorcycle engine. Put your bike in 3 or 4 gear and let out the clutch it will die..

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.