Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

tried adjusting carbs took care of most of nose but still when taking off knocks load but after moving and then cruising quite as can be any ideas

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

dr.d wrote:
tried adjusting carbs took care of most of nose but still when taking off knocks load but after moving and then cruising quite as can be any ideas
Need more info: please define "adjust"

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the board.

How long does it knock at start up. If it knocks constantly but inconsistently its probably primary chain rattle that is cured by synching the carbs. If it is an ignition knock then its unusual that its at idle and under load. I would tend to beleive that its an ignition problem. Does it emit a stream of black smoke under heavy load?

A plug chop might tell us something. If you can find a safe place to do it accelerate it hard and then immediately pull in the clutch and hit the kill switch. Pull each plug and note the appearance. You would be looking for one that is sooty.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

well I after reading a lot of other post and other info I have removed carbs and cleaned idle ports and reset all to closed position reinstalled and resynced yet again most all of the noise is gone "most" while warming up still makes noise but I am really picky so it could be fine now no stumbling under hard acceleration.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Greetings,

Take it out and drive it like ya stole it. Okay, not that extreme, but these bikes get treated lightly by well intentioned owners. Carbon build up is a real deal.

My '83 I sounded like it was going to hork up a valve when I first bought her 7 years ago. I started winding her up to 5-6000 shift points and lo and behold the bike started to run better and better, she likes it rough;).

Let the bike breathe and get ready to have some fun.:waving:

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I did notice massive carbon deposits on intake valves when I took carbs off. I'm a newbe goldwing owner so lots of reading helped me through this ,but I have been a auto tech for 20yrs. So when I heard that noise I freaked!!!!! I ran some of GM's industrial top engine cleaner through it should "should" remove all that carbon and trust me I've never been accused of have a light foot. Cars as well as bikes and everything that runs on gas needs to get beat on and cleaned out on occasion. Thanks for all the help guys any ideas on the occasional stumble at 5500-7000rpm range?

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

dr.d wrote:
Thanks for all the help guys any ideas on the occasional stumble at 5500-7000rpm range?

Check coil resistance and ignition wiring.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

Also check plug gap, better at minimum spec than larger, usually removes the high end turmoil.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
imported post

My '83 was doing the same, careful carb work took away much of the noise and a switch to Delvac 1300 calmed the rest. I had one carb running extremely rich as identified by a wet and black spark plug. Can't hold her back now!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.