Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an annoying slow leak at the valve stem of the front tire of my '82. It goes from 36 psi to 30 psi in about 3 days. I sprayed soapy water on the valve stem and see bubbles coming from the base of the valve stem...where the stem meets the wheel. They are tubeless tires.

Is there an easy fix that doesn't involve removing the front wheel?

Thanks
Brian

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
Sure. Flatten the tire all the way, and take a C clamp and break the bead on the tire near the valve stem. Tighten the clamp until you can get to the backside of the valve stem. Remove and replace. Air the tire back up, and use the soapy water method to see if the tire and valve stem seat is good.

Found this video:

http://youtu.be/Qaom3dHtVNU

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
I had the same issue. I took the core out to make sure no air was in the tire. Second I sprayed some WD40 around the base. Third I took off the plastic support that holds the stem. Then I just spun it around a bunch until it felt like all the dirt was out from around the stem. I aired it up and it has been fine. The next tire change I am going to replace it. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
Just sayin, if it was mine I'd replace the stem by removing the wheel, breaking the bead with my homemade bead breaker. What could go wrong is, maybe it's a rip instead of dirt, turn it around, rip gets worse. Don't ride it till you check for leaks, sudden loss of pressure is a killer, wheel doesn't go around.

Scott

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.