Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a platform lift and want lift the bike high enough the remove the front tire. Can someone point me to a pictorial that indicates where the lift points are? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

with the bike on center stand--use a jack floor type--to raise the front tire high enough to get the wheel off . place it to the underside of the engine block---not the front cover--just forward of center. that should do it .

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for the info. I don't think the lift points are the same as the GL1500. The fulcrum of the bike is not directly under the motor. I need to proceed with caution having never lifted the bike. I don't want damage anything.

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

As wda-83wing said, a floor jack under the engine. You don't have to lift the bike off the ground, just rotate it onto the rear wheel so the front axle can clear the bottom of the tubes. (you may want to use a piece of wood to spread the load on the jack-pad)

If you have the Harbor Frieght/Sears style lift as shown in Rudy's pic, you can use the exhaust system as a lift point. You'll have to trial/error to get the best balance point, and realise that when the front wheel is removed, so is about 50lbs, and bike may want to teeter a bit towards the rear... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:Using afloor jack position itunder the forward engine frame/mountarea and place a 2 X 4 crosswise on the jack pad and pivot the bike on the rear wheel. Don't place the jack under the engine but like I mentioned place it under the forward engine mount area.
Image below isthe floor jack with the 2X4 which distributes the load and also protects the frame and engine from any damage.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:Image below is with the floor jack in place and the bike is pivoted on the rear wheel. The 2X4 doesn't make contact withany part of the engine or exhaustonly the lower frame/engine mount area.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:Image below showsthe bike pivoted on the rear wheel and the front wheel is off the garage floor. It can be raised higher as required. I've used this jacking procedure for all my front end work. Several years ago I had to remove the forks for new seals and the floor jack setup worked great.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I agree with and understand this lifting scheme. I am using a Sears style lift for this project. The remaining issue will be how to lock the lift. I have to lift the Bike fairly high to engage the lock which will makes the Bike's balance increasingly unstable. Thanks for the pics. This helps out greatly!

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks for your reply. I don't feel comfortable about distributing 700 lbs on the exhaust system. You maybe correct, however I feel using the motor mount as a lift point will produce less stress to the bike. Taking the front wheel off the floor will be sufficent.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

ahnerrj wrote:
Thanks for your reply. I don't feel comfortable about distributing 700 lbs on the exhaust system. You maybe correct, however I feel using the motor mount as a lift point will produce less stress to the bike. Taking the front wheel off the floor will be sufficent.
:waving:The exhaust sytem would sustain damage if you distributed the weighton it and to clear the exhaust wood spacers would be needed. Using the floor jackhaveit centered so the bike won't lean to one side. Found this out first ime I used the floor jack to do front end work. Hope the above photos were of some help to you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.