Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 82 1100 locked up today. Its not the cams or belte. The motor wil turn about 1/2 turn in ether direction then locks tight. Anybody got and idea.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
remove you e-mail address unless you want a lot of spam.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
my 82 1100 locked up today. Its not the cams or belte. The motor wil turn about 1/2 turn in ether direction then locks tight. Anybody got and idea.
Just went through the same thing with mine. After checking the usual I pulled the plugs and found I had a cylinder full of water. Head gasket. I could not turn mine in either direction due to the fact it filled the cylinder with the piston down.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I pulled the plugs removed the belt covers to check for jumped belts. This happened abruptly on a test drive. The crank turns smoothly if you set the about a 1/2 turn before it locks if you set the pistons 1/2 way up the cylinders the cams turn smoothly and the valves move up and down freely. I cannot help but feel the motor is locked somewhere besides the valve train or the crank. Motor is full of new oil. I have been working on bikes for more than 30 years and have owned more than 30 cycles many being older european bikes but this is my first Goldwing

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
What kind of work was done recently? Probably wouldn't hurt to pull valve covers for a look. Maybe back valve adjusters all the way off and check turning after that.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Check that the stator bolt hasn't come loose at the back of the engine
been there , done that, got the t-shirt :shock:

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
I hate to state the obvious, but is the bike in neutral when you try to turn the engine?

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Check that the stator bolt hasn't come loose at the back of the engine
been there , done that, got the t-shirt :shock:
I bought an 82 that had that too. The PO got off at his exit and the rear wheel locked on him. It was the stator bolt had come loose. Back left side rear engine cover, 17mm nut cap was cracked from the bolt and rotor wedged against the cap, rotor was wedged cockeyed against the rear case. He must have turned the bolt lefty loosey with the spark plugs in.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
I would almost rule out anything wrong with the heads, becuse if you were riding it when this happened a belt would have snapped.

Is the bike able to roll in neutral AND/OR with it in gear with the clutch lever pulled?

Bill

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
You may need to remove the heads and see if it will turn over. If it still won't, it starts to get serious. I have never had a Goldwing engine apart, but it looks like there are a lot of things inside the cases that could cause it to lock up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.