Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I was changing the rear tire on my 81 GL1100 and when I went to reassemble the axle I found I am missing the outside spacer that goes on the axle between the caliper bracket and the swing arm.

Does anyone have one they can measure?

I need the distance between the caliper bracket and the swing-arm so I can either cut anew spacer or shim it with washers if they measure out correctly.

I could just measure the gap and fill it in but it would be nice to get an exact measurement.

I had to order the new tire from my local dealer, they called me whenthey got it in. I removed the tire and brought it down to them only to find they had the wrong size tire so they ordered the correct one. It took almost two weeks for them to get the correct tire in.

In the mean time the bike sat apart, unknown to me the bowl with the all the parts was knocked over and scattered, I found all of them except this one spacer.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

Peter

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Yes that is where the spacer goes.

I managed to locate a spacer at a local Bike junkyard.

He charged me $10 for it but it was worth it to find the right part.

It's all back together now.

I am sure the original spacer will magically appear now that I have a replacement.

Peter

·
Administrator
26,168 Posts
imported post

On an 80/81 it is just a washer that fits the axle. 82/83 it is a spacer that fits over the big end of the axle with a flange that fits next to the caliper bracket. Either will work on either model actually.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
imported post

Peter I used a 82 spacer on my 81 just so you know it works fine, the 82 contains the axle but it's the same thickness inside as the 81 washer is. I measured the space you are asking for, 1/2" between the caliper and the axle frame..

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
imported post

Do a search under 1980 swing arm problems and read my article:

1980 gl1100 swing arm/flange gear problems

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.