Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1986 Aspencade SEi
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The weakest point on the GL1100 (in my mind at least) has always been the mirrors. I usually only get 2-3 years out of a set of mirrors before they start getting too loose. I've tried Loc-Tite, sealant, shortening the screw, and JB Weld.

I've just JB Welded my mirrors, which normally adds at least a year or two to their use, but I know that the first time someone (including me) bumps into them and breaks them loose again I'll have to replace them right away. Plus now they aren't adjustable anymore.

Does anyone know a better way to extend the life of the 1100 mirrors?

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
The issue is usually the threads begin stripped in the body..so if you take it apart use a thread repair kit..several types out there it should hold better/longer. helacoil or time sert are two..and get a new bolt too.

·
Premium Member
1986 Aspencade SEi
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's where they are slipping on the ball. There is a screw and spring setup that is supposed to keep them tight but adjustable, but after a while they're only one for two. After I JB Weld them they're one for two the other way.

After asking the question I found the following thread from just last month: http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums...8-how-do-i-fix-old-floppy-gl1100-mirrors.html

This seems to be a common question with the only permanent solution being to remove the fairing mirrors and replace with handlebar mirrors. This looks a little odd to me but that is probably just a matter of getting used to them.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
When my GL1100 was my daily driver, I just took the mirrors off the fairing, and with the bracket positioned, I drilled a #10 hole from the mirror base outwards towards the outside of the arm. I then used a countersink bit on the arm portion. I went to Ace and got some stainless countersunk screws, washer and nut. Used some Locktite, and the mirrors never got loose again.

May not look perfect, but I'd rather have function over looks.

Picture taken a few moments ago, the bike's been sitting pretty much for 1 1/2 years now.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
i took mine apart and sprayed 2 coats of clear to the "ball." been working fine for me for some time now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.