Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

a lot of times like everytimie I ride, I miss shift.
I have ridden other bikes and it doesnt to this.
I'm up shifting through the gears and maybe I dont push the sifting lever hard enough and it doesnt catch the gear then my bike is in "inbetween gears" and the rear wheel is not longer engaged then I have to push the shifting lever really hard with my foot and it grinds and finally goes in or sometimes I just pull over because I dont want to grind up the gears.
Does this ever happen to anyone else or have you heard of it.
Is it harming my bike?
Thanks for any help.
It doesnt seem to be any particular gear that it happens with.

·
Administrator
26,571 Posts
imported post

Saying push the lever makes me think you have a heel/toe shifter. My advise to someone else was to take it off and throw it as far as he could and then go pick it up and throw it again and again until it couldn't be found, just the way I feel about them. Anyway if you do have one make sure it is not binding or hitting anything that prevents it from making the complete shift.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I dont have a toe heel shifter...Though I was thinking of getting one thinking it may fix the problem...but now maybe I wont seeing as you think they arent good.. anyway no I dont have one of those.. thanks

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,764 Posts
imported post

+1 on Daves post, if you have the heel/toe shifter and floorboards. If not, then check the shift lever to make sure it hasn't been moved. Werecently had another member with that problem.

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

Does this missed shift always occur with the same gear ,or always when shiffting up rather then down or other way around ? I am wondering if maybe there is a weak/broken return spring on the shift shaft . This might not be bringing the shift shaft and ratchet arm back to the home position . If it does not return to the home position when you try the next shift , the wratchet mechanism can not rotate the shift drum as needed . Look at this link photo :Ohio, Florida, Honda, Parts, Accessories, dealer, Honda Direct LIne . Spring # 23 is what I am refering to as the return to home spring . #18 shift arm and spring 22 are what rotate the shift drum by wratcheting # 5 . I hope this makes a bit of sense .

#18 and 22 are located under/behind the front engine cover .

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Try putting up pressure on the lever before actually shifting. Of course, not enough to pull it out of gear. It's called "pre-loading" and may well help you with your problem. Does it happen between 2'nd and 3'rd gear. My 1100 will do what you describe if I don't make a clean shift.

I've put 45k on it since I first experienced it and we're still going strong.

Hobie

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Let us know what happens, please. Hope it is something easy.:waving:

Hobie

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I'll check the shift lever too....Ill check every thing you all said...I was thinking of maybe putting a bigger nob thing on the shifter that my foot hooks under..Ill try all yalls suggestions,thanks!

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

When was the last time you changed your oil. If the oil is dirty, or has 3,000+mi on it, try changing the oil.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

What oil are you using? How many miles on the bike? Is the clutch adjusted properly? Is the clutch worn out?
Batten down the hatches for the noreaster tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

Is your clutch adjusted properly?

Another possible problem could be the scavanger pump. These gals have their clutch in such a position that the oil has to be pumped out of the clutch housing. If the pump inlet or outlet has become partially clogged or the pump is worn then too much oil will remain and it gets picked up between the plates and makes it act like its not disengaging correctly. Mine had this problem but it caused issues going into and out of neutral more than shifting while moving.

After I got the scavanger pump straightened out I still had issues. Got rid of them with a new clutch cable. If you disconnect the cable at both ends the inner cable should move in and out with virtually no resistance. Its worth getting some "Lock Ease" or other graphite based oil and lubing the cable. If you go for a new cable I recommend Motion Pro hardily.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
imported post

Mine does that occasionally and I am sure it is just me not putting enough into the shift into the next gear. I get the little rattle going on, give it a good push into gear and it goes. Preloading does seem to alleviate the problem. I just have not gotten myself into the habit of doing it.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

The 1800 Wing transmission is another clunker. Preloading helps, but I find it awkward to remember all the time.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

I missed 4th on the way up a lot on my 1200 till I bled the Clutch, that seemed to help, hasn't done it since.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.