Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

GL1100 Model Identification

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Gerry52 
#1 ·
imported post

Hello Everyone,

My bikewas registered as a GL1100DC on 17/03/1983.

The frame no is SC024203199, it has twin piston calipers and self cancelling indicators, fairing but no luggage (just the standard grabrail)

Can anyone identify the correct year and model?

Myother problem is the spark plugs: i have been told by a reputable source that it is a 1982 model and the correct plug is a DPR8ES-L or DPR8EA-9but NGK don't list this for my bike.

I contacted NGK who replied by phone and e-mail that i should not use these plugs as they have a projected nose and may make contact with piston/valves etc.

They state i should use DR8ES-L or DR8EA-9 as these do not have the projected nose.

Can anyone assist me with this?

Thanks,

Gerry.

See less See more
#5 ·
imported post

Also, based on the manufacture date it's definitely an '83.

And the DPR8EA-9 plug fits all 1100 models as they all use the same heads.

#6 ·
imported post

Gerry
Is it the one in your gallery? That is an 82 Interstate pictured from the Comstar wheels and the interstate tank stripes. Someone may have removed the bags and mounts and put on the rail. And you stating it has 2 piston calipers.

many bikes then were leftover to sell the following year (s).

Is the a stamped model on the Von plate on the steering neck? Should be there with manufacture date.

Brokewinger... reread 1st post... he states registered date, not manufactured date.

#7 ·
imported post

Hi newday777 and thanks for your reply.

It's getting a bitdark now so i'm unable to read the number on the neck.

Yes, it's the one in my gallery and it definitely has twin piston calipers.

I received a reply from David Silver Spares here in the UK and they are pretty certain that it's a 1982 model and recommend a DPR8EA-9 plug or it's irridium equivalent of DPR8EIX-9.

My only concern was that NGK in the UK do not list or advise these plugs due to the longer nose.

However,when i purchased the bike it had DPR8ES-L plugs fitted and these were not making any contact with the pistons or valves.

Bit confusing but there you go!

Thanks Again,

Gerry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.