Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi Guys

I have acquired a second hand Motad Stainless Exhaust for my 1100. The exhaust is in excellent condition with only the 'yellowing' to indicate its use.

I have a couple of questions and am hoping that someone will have fitted one of these and be able to answer:-

1. Where the two headers join the silencer, there is one bolt on the inside to tighten them. There are no gaskets on these joints, are they a friction fit and does this seal them completely?

2. When fitted, I realise that the Carbs should be checked for Sync, but is the bike likely to run OK from the outset or will there be a noticeable difference?

3. Any other tips, such as order of assembly, on or off bike?

Thanks in advance

Roy

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

there is no gaskets on the header pipes where theymeet the silencers,just tighten the nuts and bolts up,but there is gaskets where the headers meet the head,

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

ive got the copper rings in mine, i got them off ebay, there is a slight difference in noise but nothing to worry about, what i did is, i went to the local auto store and bought a pair of 9" x 51mm i/dslip on extentions and it altered the sound again, i also checked the carbs and they didnt need altering, you may want to smear a little copper slip at the end of the header pipes where it meets the silencers. it will make it a bit easeir when you come to take them off again for any reason, has your wing had stainless pipes on before, reason why i'm asking, my pipes where off the 1100 and i had to change the manifold bolts for longer ones, i would do a dry run with the header pipes just to see if your studsneeds changing, i got mine off ebay along with new nuts

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks Redneck

It has had the original exhaust on since 1980 and is ready for the change. Will usee the copper slip as suggested.

I like the idea of the extensions as the Motad is quite short.

I have offered up the pipes. The exhaust studs are OK. When I align the holes for the silencer to bolt to the frame, the headers are not fully home in the silencer. I presume there is tolerance and they don't have to be fully home.

Appreciate the advice

Roy

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

funny you mentioned that, not linning up, i assume you mean the bracket on the silencers, it happened to me, ifiled the hole into a slot, mine came off an 1100 and i was putting them on a 1200.

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

that sounds about right, i just got the rat tail file, and spent a couple of minutes filing, it wasnt that much i took off, not sure exactly how much, good luck

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

I believe that it is advisable to change the studs and nuts whenever the exhaust is removed and probably well worth while since you said your exhaust was the origional.

They can be obtained from David Silvers without much problem.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
imported post

Hi

i fitted a motad to my 84 1200, there is no gasket and i found i wasnt getting a good seal between the headers and the rest of the system. I used a smear of exhaust paste as i put it on and that sorted it. With the 1200 it reccomended you fit the left side first [sitting on the bike and looking forward] Dont know why but it went on fine. I havn't altered the carbs and my bike runs as it always has. I checked the plugs though and they are the right colour! So im happy. Only thing i didnt like was the system was a little short, as i like to see the tail pipes peeking out from the back of my bike, so i bought the optional extenders for the rear end.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
imported post

Yes Roy a bit like the stuff they use at Kwik Fit when you get a new exhaust for your car. The extenders are a bit pricey and i still had to fit tail pipes to get the right length but they look good!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.