Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am building a 1100 motor for my 1983 aspencade from three engines ranging from 80,81,83. My questionsare regarding swapping parts off of the motors. Will the rear covers interchange? The only difference I have noted is the stamping mark on the back "Y1" and 83 is "Y2". I wanted to check before I wasted a gasket. Another Difference noted isthe stator. Is one Better than the other?

The neutral light switch was also different by being on the front cover of my 83 engine but on the engine case on the 80. Why are there 5 or so wires on that 83switch, but only one wireon the 80? I would like to know what these wires do so I can re-hook up my wiring harness correctly. I look foward to The Guru's response!

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

As far as I know the stators all the way through the 1100's and the 1200's are the same. Rear cover should be the same. The 83 motor does have different gears in the transmission giving it better gas mileage so use the 83 block/case if at all possible.

Also use the better carbs between the 82 and 83 motors. The earlier carbs have some jets that are pressed in and normally can't be removed for cleaning or replacement.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Get all the manuals you can, you'll need them.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

That carb insight is exactly the type of info I am looking for. Keep it comming! Unfortunatly the 83 sleeve was cracked and fretting, and I put the 80 case back together before I changes the shift drum or the transmision.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

busmoss wrote:
I am building a 1100 motor for my 1983 aspencade from three engines ranging from 80,81,83. My questionsare regarding swapping parts off of the motors. Will the rear covers interchange? The only difference I have noted is the stamping mark on the back "Y1" and 83 is "Y2". I wanted to check before I wasted a gasket. Another Difference noted isthe stator. Is one Better than the other?

The neutral light switch was also different by being on the front cover of my 83 engine but on the engine case on the 80. Why are there 5 or so wires on that 83switch, but only one wireon the 80? I would like to know what these wires do so I can re-hook up my wiring harness correctly. I look foward to The Guru's response!
The reason of why the 5 wires versus the 1, is the '83 Aspencade has a gear selector indicator so you know what gear specifically you're in. You should be able to change out the gear selector mechanism from the '83 engine to the '80. Only the '83 Aspencade of all the 1100's have this.

The clutch cover is different on the '80 to the '83. Stator should be identical. The 1200 has the same stator, with the exception of the SEi and LTD models. If you could, use the '83 engine, the gearing is much better for highway driving.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I cross refrenced the shift drums part numbers on the years, and it doesnt look like I will be able to put the 5 speed selector or just the switch mechanism on there (without switching entire thing out). Bummer.
Sam, Can I use either clutch cover as long as I change the clutch depression plunger? The 83 seems to work with more mechanical advantage. Thanks for your help, Im sure I'm annoying by not just using the 80 engine like it comes.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
imported post

humm Y2, holly crap i think i set mine by Y1
I have mine all done but problem with the clutch when it's in gear and i squeeze the clutch the wheel won't turn ouch wonder if i set the timing wrong?

the green wire is netural , you will have to change a few minor thing's that's it
the temp senser is different, from the 80 to the 83

drking

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
imported post

ahoy busmoss,
although somewhat rigorous, this project has left one thing for certain. Man your freakin engine is WAY cleaner than mine!
Block envy

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
imported post

Hey busmoss,

I'm putting an '81 engine into my '83 Interstate and have the same neutral switch problem. Did you figure out how to make the conversion? The '81 has one wire on the right side, but the '83 does not. Do I need to pull the front cover on the '83 and put onto the '81? Any help is appreciated!

WD40

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
imported post

Hey busmoss,

I'm putting an '81 engine into my '83 Interstate and have the same neutral switch problem. Did you figure out how to make the conversion? The '81 has one wire on the right side, but the '83 does not. Do I need to pull the front cover on the '83 and put onto the '81? Any help is appreciated!

WD40
OOPS! Not sure how this happend?

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

That problem has still remained un solved. You can't use the front cover because of the switch located on the front. It (83) uses the shift drum to turn a reastat with is alighned by a pin and socket to show all locations of the drum including neutral. You cant even swap the 80 for 83 shift drum because the 83s has a bearing and none on the earlier. I just left the 80 neutral indicator un wired and use the clutch switch to start it.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
imported post

I put an 82 1100 in my 83 and that was the only problem I run into was the nuetral switch. I can not remeber which wire it is but I just made sure the bike was in nuetral and with the key on hooked up the wires until I had the light come on. I the just took out the unuesed wire from the loop and walla .No OD indicator on my gages for 5th but I have a nuetral switch working.

And I did try and use the front cover and setup off the 83 but it really is not worth the problems I would have run into to get that indicator light working. I am not sure it can even be done as the mechanisimn in there is quite diffrent between the 2 years.

Sorry Busmoss , should have read your reply more carefully ,just repeated what you said.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
imported post

it's so simple the 80 has one wire, 82 has 2 wires both green, 83 has 5 wires, the green is the netural light.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
imported post

Thanks for my replys! StrightWings helped me out locating the 2 wire plug behind the radiator and coming from the front of the '83 Timing belt cover area. I brought the Neutral switch wire from the lower right and spliced into the green with red dots and Presto! I finished the project yesterday and it runs great. :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.