Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I've had this GL1100 for 5 seasons now, without a lick of trouble starting it. (Occasionally the starter will spin w/o engaging when hot, but second try always works).

Today, hop on to ride home (after about 5 hours sitting), and the motor wouldn't turn over once. Like an almost dead battery. It was sitting in the sun, but only about 80F here today.

So I tried to push start it, but only got a tire skid out of it, trying in either 1st or 2nd. Rolls fine in neutral.

I've parked it in the shade, put the battery tender on it. But it seems like something is locked up. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
imported post

I'd pull the plugs first to see if a float had stuck and filled up a cylinder.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

Cookie wrote:
I'd pull the plugs first to see if a float had stuck and filled up a cylinder.
Agree. It sometimes happens that the fuel hydro-locks the engine. If the engine will turn after you remove the plugs (and fuel comes out) then that's it.

If not then don't force it to turn until you figure up what's the problem. If needed try to turn the engine by hand with the plugs removed and transmission in neutral, on the alternator bolt at the rear of the engine (puta little engine oil in each plug hole).It should rotate easily by your hand using a wrench. If it doesn't then it could be a lot of possiblecauses. In that case I would first check the timing belts - are theyintact and in correct position. If yes then the problem is most probably inside the engine.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Great replies - I'd never considered that. I will take my plug wrench back with me. Cross your fingers!

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Kudos again to the best forum on the network! Aside from it being the 4th plug I pulled, hydro-lock was indeed the problem! I painted the wall with gas, but after I put it all back together it coughed and sputtered, but turned over and started right up. I think my petcock will become my new friend.

On the road again...
:band:

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
imported post

hossners wrote:
Kudos again to the best forum on the network!  Aside from it being the 4th plug I pulled, hydro-lock was indeed the problem!  I painted the wall with gas, but after I put it all back together it coughed and sputtered, but turned over and started right up.  I think my petcock will become my new friend. 

On the road again...
:band:
Good news!

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
imported post

Change the OIL!!

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

Treetrans wrote:
Change the OIL!!
Ok, guys - you have me stumped on this one. Changing the oil regularly is good, but what does that have to do with a sticking float in the carb? There's no oil there.... ??

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

When the fuel comes into a cylinder in that large amount and furthermore the engine doesn't run to burn it (even if it does)then you have a fresh fuel passing by the piston rings and pouring down to the crank case right into the engine oil.So the amount of gas in the engine oil is now probably noticable (sniff the oil and you will see how it smels of gas), which will dilute the oil and damage the bearings and cylinder bores. So change the oil (and the filter as well) right away! And it would also be a good idea to check up the float valves to prevent these situations in future, as they are maybe sticking open while you ride as well, which will also lead to overflowing the engine oil with fuel, as the engine can't burn the excessive fuel.

Good luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.