Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I bought a 83 1100, 40k on it for $250. 10/2007 with 45336 miles it had 2k in work (Timing belts / carbs tires) It now was 45390 So.. 54 miles on it from the time the work was done in 2007. The owner got sick, It sat all this time. The motor does not turn over. I have a new battery and tested the starter outside the bike, It is fine. I can not move it in 5th gear, I took the stator plug out and can not move it with the 12mm socket. I loosened up the Intake and filled the runners with sea-foam and pulled the plugs, Filling the cylinders with fluid also. It has been 2-3 days and still nothing on getting it to budge any. Is there anything mechanical that could be locked or do I just need to sit back and let the fluids do the job.
PS this was garage kept in GA.

Thanks millions for all the poster's who make this a great informational site.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
imported post

Hello, and welcome to the greatest internet forum in the world! I believe you should let it stay for a few days more. Guess more opinions will occur in a short time. :)

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

try spraying pb blaster in the cylinders..

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,579 Posts
imported post

First, welcome.

The short cut here may be to pop off the left head and see what you have. That way you can tap the pistons free if cylinders don't look too bad. If the rust is real bad you can start looking for another motor.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
imported post

Crank it with the middle nut/bolt on the front I think it is a 19 or some such. The gear both belts go around - i.e. the crank. More leverage and less risk of damaging the 12mm nut. You do have to remove the radiator. I had a 78 that was froze. did the PB blaster. finally it just broke free. I did have to reef on it though.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
imported post

+1 on PB Blaster or some kind of liquid wrench.
+1 on turning the engine with the bolt on the front of the crank.
Removing a head really won't tell you much as it is usually the rings that rust and freeze to the cylinder wall, unless it is really bad and rusted all the way top to bottom. That would probably not occur unless the engine was open and stored outside.

It can be done,

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

I use atf and solvent, but mostly ATF it works. Use the rear tire to break it loose. put it in 5th and rock it slowly each day. In a week or 2 it should loosen up. With the flat engines its easy for some moisture to collect on the bottom of a cyclinder with an open valve sticking the ring. Take your time and dont rush it. if its salvagable it will eventually unstick
Wilf

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
imported post

if that engine was mine i would pull both heads. i wouldwant to know whats taking place in the cylinders. just my 2 cents worth. walkabout :)

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

It's filled up (Cylinders) with a cross of sea foam and the ATF / Acetone . I even took the intake loose and sprayed the intake valve stems. I will keep attempting to bump the rear tire in 5th gear. After that Ill try the front 19mm bolt.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

OK, Starting to get a little worried here. How "Froze" do these things get. I Am used to cars that I can put a breaker bar on the crank and get a slight wiggle. This thing (On the 19mm Bolt) has ZERO Play to it after this time.
?, Should I just fill the crank case with ATF / Oil and let that sit or just pop the heads and take it from there?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
imported post

It's only been two days. Not to worry yet. Acetone and ATF is supposed to be the best for freeing up frozen parts, such as piston rings. They are the first thing to stick when an engine "freezes" up.

Make haste slowly.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

+1 with William.

Seafoam is great... just not for that. It's not a penetrating type oil. Drain the contents of the cylinders and start over with ATF or PB plaster.

Then continuing the 5 gear and the front bolt.

If that fails after a few weeks, then remove the heads and take a look at what going on. It might require a 2x4 and a 2 pound hammer rapping on the pistons.

Tim.

·
Premium Member
2,925 Posts
imported post

The last one I had that was stuck ,I tried PB an ATF and everything and it was still stuck.I had just tried to turn it and could not ,I came back in and ask my son to go out and shoot some more PB in it and he shot brake cleaner in it instead and i didn't find out until about four hours later .I went out to see what kind of damage it done and it turn over as if it had never been stuck ,and I had tried for about a week and half,And no damage at all to it ,it never used any oil and run good.So I don't know if it was the brake cleaner or not.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Pryotex
After 2 weeks you can look at more invasive methods of unstucking it.Have some patientce here. its only been a few days. Keep her full of atf acetone or other solvent and rock it every day.
Wilf

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

I know this is going to sound really strange after all the oil based products mentioned to free that engine up, but a guy at a parts house suggested something to me after the owners wife of this truck I was working on decided to "clean" the engine, she washed it with tide soap and lots of water...Pistons were rusted in big time....6 ft cheater bar on the crank bolt, not going to break loose!!!!!...What he suggested was pout Pepsi Cola into the cylinders...OK I poured a family size bottle into the cylinders, minus one glass over ice, guy said wait over night, so next day I put my 6 ft cheater bar on the crank bolt, went to push on it and it almost fell over on its own, very very little pressure!!!!!...Finished that engine changed the oil about 4 times after a couple of flushes, it ran for another 7 years before the owner wrecked it....

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
imported post

What a silly thing to do, using Tide that is. Everyone knows that Gain is a much better product :) All joking aside I can see how a weak acid bath (Pepsi) could help but I would wonder about the sugar residue but maybe that would burn off.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

I think cola would work but would wory about it getting on the bearings. I think it would be way to agressive for them especialy if you could not get it unstuck in a few days and flushed
Wilf

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Whoo Hoo, It is broke loose, NOW..... I need to see about the Heads, I am thinking, Using a piece of plastic (Weed wacker string) Probe the pistons on one side and make sure I dont get valve slap and then try to move the cam wheel to free up the valves from the guides ???

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.