Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1981 GL1100
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm from the UK and have a 1981 GL1100 imported from the US. When I purchased the bike a couple of years ago now it had already been stripped of the fairing and panniers and a replacement headlight installed.

Overall the bike is in great condition and has probably never seen a wet road ! but I've been addressing some details ...as you do. I managed to find some NOS mounting brackets and the correct emblem so apart from the aftermarket headlight its close to as it would have been if it had come from the factory as a naked bike.

Part of the reason for choosing the Goldwing was the more relaxed riding position as I have a bit of an ongoing shoulder issue (getting old) but I think the bike would look better with lower bars. Does anyone know if the naked bikes were built with different bars to the fully loaded machines ? or any suggestions on suitable bars, I wondered if GL1000 bars might be OK ?

Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
This NOS mounting bracket works ok. But holding on to the bars becomes pretty important when you hit the button.

·
Administrator
27,523 Posts
Does anyone know if the naked bikes were built with different bars to the fully loaded machines ? or any suggestions on suitable bars, I wondered if GL1000 bars might be OK ?
As far as I know the 1100 bars were all the same. 1000 bars would work or many others. I built a naked 1100 and used CB750 bars, sold it then bought it back a couple years later and didn't like those bars and went back to 1100 bars.

·
Registered
1981 GL1100
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As far as I know the 1100 bars were all the same. 1000 bars would work or many others. I built a naked 1100 and used CB750 bars, sold it then bought it back a couple years later and didn't like those bars and went back to 1100 bars.
Thanks Dave, I don't want to go for bars that are really flat but without a fairing anything over about 65MPH is a struggle for any distance, you can't really get a better position for the wind resistance with what are getting close to ape hangers but at the same time I don't want to drastically change the look of the bike.

I might just have to bite the bullet and get another set and see if I like them or not, it will keep me busy in the garage if nothing else

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
61,278 Posts
I could never understand the allure of "ape hangers"
they are dangerous, and you can't control the bike properly if you are in a tight twisty

·
Registered
588 Posts
If you go to cmsnl website you can look up the parts lists for different countries and check numbers on bars, pics wont show wether low or high though

·
Registered
1981 GL1100
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you go to cmsnl website you can look up the parts lists for different countries and check numbers on bars, pics wont show wether low or high though
The bars on the GL1100 arent really extreme ape hangers I think they would make more sense with the fairing as you could maintain a more upright position without the wind buffeting you about. I've had several sports type bikes, ZZR1100, ZX10 but I just couldn't maintain that kind of riding position anymore for various physical reasons.

I'll have to mull it over, I like the idea of using GL1000 bars as the bike is just so original maybe someone with a GL1000 could provide a few measurements and pics of their bars ?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Did you say your in UK? If so i have a set from a GL1000 executive you can have cheap, not brilliant but ok for test

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
61,278 Posts
AZgl1800 said:
I could never understand the allure of "ape hangers"
they are dangerous, and you can't control the bike properly if you are in a tight twisty
You need to try em

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk
that will never happen, wasted money on something that is outright dangerous

1 - 10 of 10 Posts