Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello everyone and thxs 4 ur help

Well I am becoming very good at replacing head gaskets and got it down to one day.. The problem this time was that the water came running down the exhaust as i was filling the radiator... I dont know what to do... it is very frustrating and if anyone else had this problem please let me know what to do
Thxs PJ

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

pjjbur wrote:
Hello everyone and thxs 4 ur help

Well I am becoming very good at replacing head gaskets and got it down to one day.. The problem this time was that the water came running down the exhaust as i was filling the radiator... I dont know what to do... it is very frustrating and if anyone else had this problem please let me know what to do
Thxs PJ
:waving:i guess the first question would be-- can you see where its leaking from ? and where on the exhaust is leaking to ?

gotta go just now. i`ll check back later.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

If u pulled your radator, cieck the hose fittings. Radator leak, oi resiivor. David

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Maybe i put too much water and should only have a little to start and than gradually add more when she warms up... that will give the new gasket a chance to take form because with the current mehtod the water drains into the cylinders and causes it to not start????

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Hello Everyone... I think i just figured out why they are leaking.... I think i put too much water in the radiator and probaly shoul add only little until the new gaskets get a chance to heat up, and than add more coolant as needed.... How much coolant should i put in.... probable none and add later.?????

Thanks for ur help

PJ

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
imported post

doodle0407

I'm curious.

How did you determine that the head bolts were stretched?

Head bolts on the 4 cylinder Goldwings are not torque to yield. In any event, all bolts are stretched a certain amount when they are tightened to the specified torque.

There was a car engine years ago that required measuring the length of the rod bolts before and after tightening to determine if they were correctly torqued.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Don't make sense to me. Head gasket don't need a breaking in period.

Did you use Honda gaskets or the cheapest ones you could find on a certain website?

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
imported post

My first question would be; Why are you so good at changing head gaskets?
How often do you need to change them? :baffling:

pjjbur wrote:
Hello Everyone... I think i just figured out why they are leaking.... I think i put too much water in the radiator and probaly shoul add only little until the new gaskets get a chance to heat up, and than add more coolant as needed.... How much coolant should i put in.... probable none and add later.?????

Thanks for ur help

PJ
It makes no difference how much or how little, how fast or how slow, how hot or how cold the water is (not the engine), when you start to fill it up.
The head gasket should seal right from the off; if it doesn't, then something is wrong somewhere.
Have you had the head and/or the block checked for warpage?
Did you grease the head bolts, including under the flange, and then torque them in the correct sequence to the correct figures?
Even a poor aftermarket head gasket will seal at this point in the build up; they usually only fail once the engine has been running for some considerable time.
The head has to come off again to determine what is wrong. I venture to suggest that you may have to drain out the oil too if it's leaking that badly.

Honda make no recommendation to renew head bolts at a gasket change. I sincerely doubt that a properly greased bolt would or could be stretched beyond its elastic limit at
the recommended torque figures.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Even a cheap gasket, inproperly torqued, without grease on bolts should not leak into the cylinders when adding the coolant... something is wrong with the installation.. or something cracked/broken/damaged/seriously warped.. don't know

and it isn't stretched bolts either..( if you overtorqued to the point of stretchingany bolts, you will haveruined the aluminum head)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.