Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Very active member
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

okay everybody. any help offered here needs to be very precise as how to hook it up and where. this is what i did. i pulled the rats nest out of my fairing. i bought a duel mxp42marine radio. it should be an easy switch but i dont want to hook it up wrong. the speakers are easy. i can do that. i am completely incompetent when it comes to the electrical wiring of the deal. ihave a blue wire that says it goes to the remote or amp. i am not sure if i need to hook that to anything. i have the red wire that is for the ignition/ switched power, where and howexactly do i hook this up. i have the yellow which is for the constant- keeps the memory feature,i think that goes to the battery, but is it positive or negative? next i have the black.... it is for the ground. does that just wire to the frame somewhere? again i apologize for asking stupid questions like this. i tried to do a lot of research on the forum and i know mr magic fingers has a great post on it, butit was way too high tech for me. i am mounting the radio in the same place as the face for his. i already have it all set up for that. any help would be great. i would love to get my bike back put together this weekend and enjoy some tunes.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

When I did mine I just cut the wire that was originally supplying power to the factory radio and hooked my red wire up there with a crimp on cap. The ground can hook somewhere to the frame, but the way I did it, again, was to hook up to the original radio's ground wire. The yellow needs constant battery power, even when the ignition is off. On my ltd there was a fuse holder in the fairing by the amp that had constant power, that's what I used, the other option is to run a wire all the way back to the possitive lead of the battery. You could also do that with the ground if you wanted, but to the negitive lead. Hope that helps.

Oh yeah, the blue wire just gets capped off unless you're running an amp in series or a power extending antenna, but make sure you do cap it off or it'll ground out.

·
Very active member
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

see now thats what im talking about. youre a life saver. i thought that was it but i didnt want to fry my new tunes, thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

you should not need the blue wire... as for power i hooked power to the accessory hookup in the fuse box... if you want it to remember time and stations you will need to run wire directly to battery for the orange wire i think it is. ground is also in the fuse box,

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
imported post

Okay, I'll bite since I'm considering replacing or upgrading the power on my radio, what is an mxp42 and where can I find data on it?

·
Very active member
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

It is a marine radio, no cd. It has a usb input, aux input, and an sd card input. You can get it at bass pro. It is the most reasonable priced and the only one I found that would fit where I need it to. It is only 4.25 " deep. I almost have it installed so I will put up a couple of pics after.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
imported post

can you post some pics of the radio and where you installed it . i am thinking about all my posiabilities with the radio , mine cuts out every now and then ( usually when a good song is on )

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
imported post

I have a small mp3/fm/sd/usb unit in the space where the original radio was but it doesn't have enough power to hear the tunes going down the highway. I'm looking for a little more juice. Either a new player or an amp after what I have

·
Very active member
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I am going to install mine where the voltmeter and cb indicator are. I am doing away with the cb. It's in between the speakers. Hopefully I complete the install within the next few days to keep you posted with pics.

·
Very active member
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

well i have it done now, but i cant figure out how to get the pics on the site. it looks pretty good and seems to be pretty loud. i havent had it on when i am riding yet, but soon will. hopefully i will figure out how to post the pics. i would say it looks quite a bit like mr magic fingers pic, only i have the whole radio up there not just the faceplate.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

If your talking to me its a pod off an old vetter fairing.. you can still find them on ebay.. they also make one that are made for an honda line fairing. I had to use two fender bolts and huge washers to hold that sucker in place. The radio is great, has bluetooth ,usb which plays mp3s or can use to charge phone ,etc... cd, radio. had to have a radio on my wing lol... So i made it work.

·
Very active member
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

okay here is the next deal, i do not have enough volume for interstate riding. i can crank it up, but it still isnt quite enough. is there a small amp that i could install in my fairing that would help in this situation? i dont even know if that is the route to take. i have plenty of volume when i am on city streets, but goig 70 it is a little hard to hear. would it be a speaker problem? i wouldnt think so but i figured it was worth throwing out there.

·
Very active member
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

what about if i upgrade my speakers to something newer and nicer, still the same size though? it came with 6 1/2" speakers that i was going to try to mount somewhere, but there isnt room anywhere unless i put them in my saddlebags and maybe face them forward? i dunno, thoughts.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

I hear mine fine on the interstate... I have vr3s 4 inch or 4 1/2 cant remember. Radio is a dual. I have no amp, and I hear it fine no matter where i am. this is the head unit I have..
Dual xdma6630. They have it at walmart

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

These are the speakers. Just cant remember the size of speaker. But it is whatever fits in vetter fairing pods.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

Hi littlewing , was a car stereo installer for 15 years and i would first go back to the place of purchase and ask about available amps. for the radio if you find the volume to be too low. There are many types and configurations available and you need to know which works for you.
Try this and then come back with what they suggested.

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
imported post

ok now i want a new raido, i still have the 1980 super tuner.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.