Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

i got a 83 1100 a few months ago,i replaced the starter,choke cable and speedo cable twice,cant find a speedo.anyway i changed the oil and filter and when i checked it today there was no oil in sight glass,i added 1 1/4 quarts of oil,all i had its still barely above half way.bike dosent seem to smoke except when started and been on side stand.i dont know how many mile ive put on but would guess 1500. is this normal for this year bike?68000 miles but speedo wasnt working when i got it.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts

·
Premium Member
231 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

i did check it on the center stand speedo has to be 83 for self canceling turn signals im trying to figuere out ebay id and password been years but thats the one i want

·
Administrator
26,544 Posts
imported post

You might try different oil. I had an 83 that the PO had Amsoil 20/50 in, it used about 1/2 qt. every 1000 miles. I changed to Castrol 20/50 and it stopped using oil.

·
Administrator
26,544 Posts
imported post

You might try different oil. I had an 83 that the PO had Amsoil 20/50 in, it used about 1/2 qt. every 1000 miles. I changed to Castrol 20/50 and it stopped using oil. It had 123,000 miles when I got it.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

The 1100's will have you bent right over to check that oil level. Level ground surface, on centre stand, place a soft blanket next to the bike and get comfortable. Oil level should be at the 2 side marks.

If the metal parts cannot be seen and/or the level is not apparent, the oil level may be too high and filling the whole window.

Oil level should be at notches or just below, NEVER OVER.

Next oil change do an investigation as to oil quantity, change out filter and replace in correct order, then pour in 3 liters or quarts, turn engine with kill switch off, check the window then slowly pour your 4th bottle to match the lines and record the total amount of oil. Around 3.5, depends whether quarts or liters, just remember your total.

With a full crankcase, place bike on side stand, can you see any oil level in the glass? Remember what you see when full, remember the colour, anf from then on you should be good to go.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

i won the ebay speedo and i had the correct amount of oil when changed and probably 3 weeks later still was good

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

The stupid window thing has a wiper that you turn with a screw driver to clean the window to better view the oil level.
Not one of the best ideas Honda ever came up with .
An aftermarket dipstick works well.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
imported post

Mr Magic Fingers wrote:
Hey Drywallgod,

+1 on the dipstick.

If you don't know what they are... this post may help...

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/118547.html

Poor idea those sight glases!! What a way to encourage a person to NOT check their oil.

Tim.
I ruined a pair of boots with over filling and not to mention leaky seals till I got the dipstick
Try David Silver for the speedo cable, a lot of the ebay suppliers were listing the wrong part www.davidsilverspares.co.uk
Good luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.