Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

just picked up a 1983 goldwing 1100cc with 63000 on the odo. Rode it home 400 miles one way. Nice bike.However it makes a bang or slamming sound in the front of the engine when below1200 rpm's / cold engine. Cold starts are a bit tricky on this, I have to play around with the choke excessively while starting. has a rough start up always but warms quickly and runs like a top once warmed up for about 3-5 mins.

will make noise in neutral and while in gear.

Noise goes away when the bike warms up.

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
imported post

Whatever that is it does not sound good to me. Is it possible the timing is off and you are hearing a valve slapping the top of the piston?The hard start and the noise sound like timing BUT I am sure someone will be here shortly who can help even more.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Well this is my first wing, I sold my 04 meanstreak to get this.. fell in love with a goldwing after riding my friends wing for about a month, I never looked at another metric cruiser after that and I am very happy with my purchase of the wing. Just want to get it fixed whatever it may be.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
imported post

Welcome goldie4ever,

This Is Great site!

I Had 83 1100 Last Year! That's When I fell In Love W/ wings My self.

The Noise Is proably The Primary Chain I believe That's what It called! No worries It won't Hurt nothing But Your feelings. Mine did The same thing! If you give it more Throttle It Quiets It down A little
Check To make sure Choke cable Is working Properly

Hope This Helps

James

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,268 Posts
imported post

Sounds like the carbs are way out of sync. It should smooth out with a bit of tuning.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

that may be it because the guy I bought it off of kept telling me how he had recently soaked and cleaned out the carbs. I never dawn to ask if he had synced the carbs, since it only happens when cold and on warm up, maybe??

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
imported post

It's the bolt that goes through the engine to both mounts. It is proubly worn egg shaped, and jumps up and down giving
you a banging noise.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

I'm going to try and record the noise, maybe post it if I can.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

You might want to ask the PO if the timing belts have ever been changed and if not then replace them. At this time is a good time to take a good look at the belt tensioners. They could be worn out or a little loose allowing the timing belts to slap around a little at idle.

A carb sync is always a good thing to do when you first get one of these older bikes as some people never have it done the whole time they have the bike and think the weird noises are normal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow Just bought a 1982 and it makes the same noise. Sometimes its really loud and I can't believe its normal. Its almost like a miss also. The mechanic says they all make that noise when cold but it sounds like the engine is coming apart. Carbs are synced. Any audio sounds to listen to. Belts and idlers changed.

·
Administrator
27,750 Posts
You drug up an old one here but a miss can cause a terrible noise. Check the valve clearance, a too tight valve can cause a cold miss. Could also be a weak ignition or carb problem. Start your own thread on this if you need further help.

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 A
937 Posts
You might want to ask the PO if the timing belts have ever been changed and if not then replace them. At this time is a good time to take a good look at the belt tensioners. They could be worn out or a little loose allowing the timing belts to slap around a little at idle.

A carb sync is always a good thing to do when you first get one of these older bikes as some people never have it done the whole time they have the bike and think the weird noises are normal.
+1 First thing that came to my mind too, loose belt(s), slack tensioner(s). Won't notice it under load.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.