Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I was riding on the highway the other day and had to stop at a toll booth (I had duct taped a smart card to the windshield but the toll booth reader wouldn't read it.) While stopped the engine stalled and when I pressed the starter button the engine seemed to not want to turn/the starter didn't seem to want to turn. The engine started turning slowly/the starter started turning the engine slowly and then eventually the engine fired. This has happened occasionally in the past. I don't have this problem when I first start the bike/start a cold engine. Time to rebuild the starter?

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Yep it is..hot start slow start rebuild.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

also--- now would be a good time to check the cable connections and ground connections too.

·
2,486 Posts
imported post

whoops!

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

I've been looking on the site for instructions on how to remove the starter (without removing the engine). Can anyone point me to the link?

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

I thinkthe information is in the bikers workshophttp://www.goldwingfacts.com/starterrefresh.htm

Take your time with the bolts that hold the starter motor to the block, I broke one one time and that just aint no fun :gunhead:

When you take the starter apart I found it best to use vice grips on the long part of the screws, the heads sheer easy

Putting the starter motor back in place can be a chore if you have no patience, the gear is on a chain and will move arround on you a little

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
imported post

When your starter solenoid contacts get pitted or burned, you can't get enough current to the starter and your voltage will be lost in heat transfer. Try bypassing the start switch and see what happens. Turn on the ignition, and put a screwdriver in between the top 2 terminals on the solenoid. If you get fast engine turnover there, and not when you push the button, you'll know the solenoid is going out. Cheap replacement

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

I had just thought it was my due to too much compression, or the pistons being tight in the cylinder because due to heat. When it happens (mine has done it since I bought it four years ago) I can hear it turn, build compression, hesitate, if I'm lucky, move past that, go fast again, build compression, hesitate, and if I'm lucky, all it needs is to fire once during the one to three turns, and it starts. The problem is worse, if my battery is low. I never need to wait more than a few minutes for things to cool. I also can keep if from happening at all I run the fan while I get gas; or for a minute if it stalls.
So, I guess I'll try a new solinoid, it that would get rid of it completely; otherwise, it's just a slight nuisance for me.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
imported post

I had rebuilt the starter in my GL1100, all connections and cables clean. It would still do the slow to crank thing once in awhile. I recently replaced the battery with an Odyssey and it has not done it since.

So.. You may just have a marginal battery..

·
OldGold13
5 Posts
imported post

I encountered a similar situation and found it to be a faulty...worn starter switch, combined with a corroded ground cable. So it isn't always the starter itself. Check your amperages along the way to the starter before you decide to replace or disassemble the starter.

Just an effort saving tip you might try.

By the way...I never trust a battery past 4 years...depending on an older batter, no matter how you maintained it is an invitation to be sitting on the side of the road in a most inconvenent location.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
imported post

if for some reason u havent checked your water level in battery , check it for the heck of it , this happened to me 75 miles from home , had to get a jump start , started right up , so we headed for home and tryed a restart when i got home , just barely would roll , did all the test to see if it was chargeing , all is good and neightbor said look at your batt , it has very little water in it , fulled batt and was good to go for now , now wondering where that water went to , new batt 6 months ago , something been cooking my water

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.