Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

A few weeks ago I noticed my 1100i is leaking coolant and oil from underneath the engine toward the front. i go to my trusted mechanic and he says it's the water pump for sure. he changed the water pump and the associated seals/gaskets and i rode the bike home with no trouble. bike has been sitting for 1.5 weeks now in my garge and more and more coolant and more and more oil is leaking out. looks like the same darned leak. i call my mechanic he says no way can it be the same because they put in all new parts and fixed it up. He told me to bring the bike back to him and he will figure it out. problem is, my schedule doesn't allow me to bring the bike back to him anytime soon and winter is soon upon us. Probably won't be able to bring him the bike until the spring. Should I just leave the bike sitting in the garage, leaking, over the next 3 months or should I get it trailered to the mechanic now? (even that I can't do for a few weeks due to my schedule).

And, of course, what do y'all think is wrong?

·
Premium Member
3,467 Posts
imported post

I don't know about the GL1100, but from what I've read about GL1200 water pumps it's hard to do a good rebuild on one... I'd trailer it back to him and let him take a looksee....

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Did your mechanic use an OEM pump?
The aftermarket ones seem to fail faster but usually not that fast.

·
Registered
267 Posts
imported post

It is possible that an "O" ring slipped. like what Don said trailer it don't waste time there might be a warrenty on his work

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
imported post

palmpalm wrote:
A few weeks ago I noticed my 1100i is leaking coolant and oil from underneath the engine toward the front. i go to my trusted mechanic........................................... You say that you trust your mechanic so in fairness to him I would let him look after the problem like he says he will. If I were you I would not touch it or let anyone else touch it until your mechanic has a look at it. Like already mentioned it could be a faulty (new) pump or a pinched o ring...... I would, however, get the bike back to him ASAP just so that it doesnt get forgotten about and also in the Spring he will probably be a lot busier.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

It depends there is a small weep hole on the bottom of the water pump housing..if it is dripping from there..then bad o ring or oil seal or both. Hard for it to leak oil from there if the bike hasn't been run..water yes when just sitting. Won't hurt it to sit with the leak..shouldn't hurt to drive it to him either..just fill up water and oil..if you have lost that much. He should have installed a new pump, o rings and oil seal. Not just new o rings and seal. If the pump is bad it will wiggle and make new seals leak. Easy check for you is to take off the front of the lower elbow on the water pump housing,just two 8mm? bolts.. it will drain water but that's it. Then try to wiggle the impeller which is right there..if it moves at ALL side to side or up and down..it's bad even a little wiggle means it's old and worn out.

Note it is easy to ruin a water side o ring when reinstalling the pump, your mechanic could have done that..but the oil seal, crush washers oil o ring is not so easy to screw up???

Next time you have a mechanic change out parts tell them you want the old parts. Then you have a better chance of knowing you have new parts in your bike or car.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

hey all, thanks for all the replies. I would like to get the bike to him but I don't have any day off for another two weeks. I'll see if he is around then and, if so, will trailer it. Winter is setting in here :( If not, it will have to wait for March.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.