Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

needs some help. looking for sugesstions for an oil change on a 81 gl1100. talk to honda dealer and they want my left testicle for the oil. help me out and tell me what works good. thanks everyone

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

castrol 10-40 or 20-50

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
imported post

ditto that. 110+k on my 81 gl1100 and Ive been using castrol every mile. 10w/40 for best results. 20w/50 plays havic with the starter.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
imported post

Agreed. I change about every 1000 miles. I haven't ever heard changing it too much is bad. 10w40 hasn't let me down yet.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

I like diesel oil too! or you can run delo 400 from wally world. Do not use oils with friction modifiers, do not use dura lube or slick 50. Your wet clutch system will begin to slip from these products. Wing engines will beat the viscosity out of your oil due to the shearing action of the gears. Honda has very tight tolarences. keeping your oil clean or changing it every 3000 miles helps keep your oil's protection value high. In the heat of the summer this is very important.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
imported post

Diesel oil's superior resistance to shear is the main reason why I use Diesel. Wet clutches are hell on conventional oil. Diesel oils are also good at providing protection against soot build up.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
imported post

I use Castrol GTX 10/40. DO NOT use 20/50 - this is a water cooled engine and it doesn't need the extra viscosity. 20/50 will only screw with the starter clutch.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
imported post

My Honda dealer says that's the weight they are using in all of their bikes. However, I agree with you, 20W-50 is too heavy a weight. This viscosity can prove detrimental on newer engines.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

thanks everyone for the replies. there is alot of good people on this forum

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
imported post

ahnerrj wrote:
My Honda dealer says that's the weight they are using in all of their bikes.  However, I agree with you, 20W-50 is too heavy a weight.  This viscosity can prove detrimental on newer engines.
I'm surprised to hear your dealer goes with 20/50 but maybe they're accustomed to air-cooled engines? Maybe they just like seeing people back for non-warranty work in a few years?

I generally use 20/50 in air-cooled engines - never liquid cooled unless it's NOT to be started below 60F degrees and will be run hard (highway/grades) in 90F-100F+ temps.

I forgot to mention that 20/50 also causes more clutch slip problems in the GL1100.

Good luck, all the best to you and many happy miles - 119

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:Use a good 4 stroke motorcycle oil such as Valvoline Motorcycle Oil which has superior wet clutch protection. Do not use any oil that is "energy conserving" since it is not wet clutch compatable and also use a Honda OEM oil filter.

The chart below is from the '80-'83 Honda GoldWing Service Manual and shows what weight oil you can use in your GL1100. Jan 25th will be 26 years since I bought my '83 Interstate and I use 20W-50 from late spring to late fall and I have never had clutch slipping problems. Late fall I change oil & filter and refill with 10W-40 oil.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
imported post

Mother honda states in thier shop manual oil change every 8k miles. Setion 3-14. Myself every 3k miles usually twice a year.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:Valvoline motorcycle oil and filter every 3-4,000 miles unless I'm on a long trip and at which time I'll change oil & filter when I get home.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.