Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well gang, looks like my 83 GL1100 finally has a serious problem. Coolant mixed with oil pissing out the front of the engine, seems to be coming from under/behind the thermostat housing. I am looking at newer bikes, I need one to commute - I am leaning towards a Kawasaki Concours. I may keep this one and fix it - is this a head gasket issue, anyone have any ideas..? THX in advance..:cool:

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
imported post

Are you sure its leaking from the t-stat housing?Up high,centered behind radiator?

Or maybe from the water-pump housing?Lower left where the lower radiator hose goes into?

If it is the lower,there is a weap hole there to indicate a bad pump seal,Also,this will cause antifreeze in oil,and can be repaired easily with a new water pump.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I think the part you're calling the thermostat housing is actually the water pump housing. If you mean the area where the lower radiator hose connects to the engine that's the coolant pump housing. If the slop is coming out of the weep hole below that area it just means your water pump has failed.

Drain all the oil and coolant out of your engine to prevent the coolant from corroding your engine. You need to drain it to fix it anyway. You'll need a new water pump, front cover gasket, the two different sized o-rings for the pump and the seal for the housing cover and the hose spigot. It's not a difficult job, the lower engine cover can come off without dropping the engine. A matter of a couple hours.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks, maybe I'll keep it and fix it! I have a look tonight - anyone know a good source for the new water pump other than my local Honda stealer..? I have the Honda service manual as well.. Gotta love internet forums, what DID we do without them?

EDIT is there a way to verify whether it is the pump, or just the seal? My manual says "inspect pump for worn bearings, loose shaft or damaged impeller" I have done many 60's/70's auto water pumps in my younger days..

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

Yes, sure, there is a way. After you get the coolent and oil drained. As Paul said, you hafta do it anyway now. Just wiggle the impeller of the pump and if it wiggles at all, there is every chance that the front bearing of the pump is gone. Get all the seals as mentioned or a pump kit. That should also include the oil seal for the rear shaft as it passes into the oil pump area. That seal has to be bad for oil to get into the coolent via the pump. A new pump will have a metal impeller, whereas the origional was made of resin fibre. That will also be a clue about your pump.

Mother Honda is expensive, so if you are so inclined, and your pump's shaft is OK, then you can get a new pressure seal(bellows seal), and two new bearings and rebuild the old pump for about $25. Just do a search for water pump and there will be lots of info

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

ENGINE COVER WON'T COME OFF! Or the pump cover - I drained the fluids, pulled the radiator, removed EVERY bolt on the cover, double and triple checked that I didn't miss any- gave it a few taps with a hammer, also tried a wooden mallet - it hasn't been off in 25 years - I figured I would consult the glitterati here at the Gold Wing forums before I broke the covers - any suggestions welcome!

(Yes, the oil filter is off too.. :cool:)

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
imported post

You MUST remove it in the forward directon only!!!I believe there are a couple tabs that you can TAP forward with a brass hammer.

There are twosleeve type dowels in the upper corners where the coolant passes through the housing that will keep you from moving it any other direction.

Be careful not to distort these sleeves,they need to seal when done.

Best bet is to buy a water pump gasket kit when you buy the new pump,it will come with all the neccesry seals and gaskets,that do not come with the pump.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks - I have cleaned up and retired to a few cold ones for the evening, and listening to the Red Sox begin their annual collapse on the radio.:gunhead: I will try it again tomorrow evening, although I don't have a brass hammer..

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

Dave You can check the pump without removing the front cover. Simply remove the two 10mm bolts holding the lower rad spiggot onto the cover and tap it off, exposing the front of the impeller. You can test wiggle it from there. Good starting point.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I gave it a shot this morning, tapping the tabs forward and gently using a screwdriver and it came off. When I pulled the pump out, the ball-bearings were all over the place. I am ordering a pump today ;)

EDIT I removed the radiator because my Honda Service Manual said to, but now I don't think there was any need to..:?

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Pump ordered from Service Honda - @103 plus $9 ship - got the gasket/seal kit off EBAY, Service didn't have one - cover cleaned up, all gasket material removed from all surfaces, all bolts labeled to minimize any confusion- pump to arrive tomorrow, hope to be locked and loaded by Saturday night!

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
imported post

:banana::dance::banana:Git'r Done!:banana::dance::banana:
And another Wing flies again!

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Well she's back and running strong! Thanks, everyone! Running a lot cooler now - the water pump musta been on the way out for some time now - :cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.