Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have just done an oil & filter change on the old 1100a, using a quite expensive Shell Helix 15-40 oil. After finishing the job, looked around and saw a spring, about an inch across in size, that fairly obviously used to be inside the filter casing. Is it important that I pull the filter out and replace the spring, or can this wait until next oil change. Thanx - Simon

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

So, ...your oil filter won't seal properly @ 90K miles. ...

:cool:

You think that oil was expensive do 'ya? ;)

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
imported post

Spring is a must have installed item!!!Spring goes first in the filter can,then the filter next to engine block. Go to www.hdlparts.com for a break down of parts.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

I ran my 1200 for one Oil change with it missing, simply because i didn't realize i had not put it back in, no harm, but i would loose a little oil and put it back in.

JIM

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
imported post

There is supposed to be a washer in there as well . Goes on top of the spring. It is to stop the spring from pushing into the rubber grommet of the filter.......

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
imported post

If you can elevate the front of the bike, say park on center standfacing slightlyup hill, you can prolly do the job with minimal oil loss. Just be sure your bike is stable before putting your feet under it.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

OldSchool_IsCool wrote:
If you can elevate the front of the bike, say park on center standfacing slightlyup hill, you can prolly do the job with minimal oil loss. Just be sure your bike is stable before putting your feet under it.
Good advice.:thumbsup:

Pet peeve from an ol' fart....probably, not prolly.:kissing:

Hobie

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

It would be safe to hang the spring on a nail in the wall until the next oil change as all it does is hold the filter off the front face of the housing.
If one was to leave it out for 500,000 miles one might see some wear in the housing.

·
Administrator
26,567 Posts
imported post

I think it would be perfectly fine to leave it out. All it does is keep the filter in place to insure all the oil goes through it instead of bypassing directly through the holes in the bolt. It will probably stay right there anyway.

Pet peeve from an ol' fart....probably, not prolly
Me too Hobie, what the hell is prolly?

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
I think it would be perfectly fine to leave it out. All it does is keep the filter in place to insure all the oil goes through it instead of bypassing directly through the holes in the bolt. It will probably stay right there anyway.
Dave with all the theories out there about what the spring does I checked and even without the spring the filter can't move enough to expose or block any passages in the bolt.
Bottom line is that it's safe to leave it out in the short term as it's absence will not compromise oil flow or filtering of the oil.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Really? I thought it would be acting as if the filter is now clogged because of no spring pressure on the element and it is now bypassing filtering the oil.

That's why the spring is there.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I believe the function of the spring and washer is to act as an overpressure valve. If the oil gets too thick from cold or the filter should plug up the pressure caused under the filter will lift it against the spring and bypass the filter. Spin on filters have over pressure valves built in them. If you don't have the spring in the filter there's no way to assure that you have any filtering going on at all. A cold weather start could generate enough pressure in the filter to lift it off it's seat and bypass all the oil around the filter. Not a great thing to do.

·
Administrator
26,567 Posts
imported post

The bypass valve is inside the bolt in the area where the spring sits. The filter does not move from over pressure. Oil flows from the outside of the filter to the inside, the pressure would be equal all around the filter so there is nothing to move it.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
imported post

Hobie1 wrote:
OldSchool_IsCool wrote:
Good advice.:thumbsup:

Pet peeve from an ol' fart....probably, not prolly.:kissing:

Hobie
With a name like Old School, you'd think I'd favor the traditional spelling too. But I'm also an 'ol fart and don't have time to waste typing the 2 extra letters
:cheesygrin:

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,211 Posts
imported post

Mr Honda designed it to work with a spring, didn't he?

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

clean the area aroud the oil filter and under the engine, place a clean pan to catch the oil and remove the oil filter cover to install the spring, install everything back and pour the oil back into the engine. no problem.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

so like posted just take a wrench remove and install the spring

put it back in nuff said

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.