Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some info again... GL1100 I 1981 Model

It started with an oil leak at the fuel pump (rev counter cable). I then tried checking the oil level at the window (total [email protected]#k up as you all know) I also have a dip stick installed and I think I miss read it and I put more oil in the bike. Now I have an oil leak at I think the bottom of the dip stick where it connects to the old sump plug and it also looks like the oil is blowing out at the top of the dip stick (when at speed), it does not screw in it just plugs in.... Now my question can the oil pressure push the oil up and out of the dip stck if overfilled or what else could be the problem???

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
Have you checked for a blocked breather? That would cause oil to blow out at any weak points like the dipstick.

·
Registered
224 Posts
You will find that a lot of the dip sticks will leak at the bottom after they have been removed an put back in. I have to mess with mine a few times after I change oil to get it to stop leaking. check to see if you can screw it in just a little to stop the leak at the dip stick.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks have done that, have you had any oil coming out the top of the dip stick ??

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Have you checked the oil level with the site glass as it was supposed to be instead of that aftermarket dipstick? That dipstick may not be marked properly. That is the first thing to double check as you said you overfilled it.
If you have overfilled it with oil, it could come out the top if you also have leaking head gasket pushing exhaust gases and or antifreeze into the oil, is it milky?

Or are you Carb float valves sticking and pouring gas into the cylinders and past the rings, hydrolock conditions? Does it turn over hard? If so pull your spark plugs to see if there is liguid in the cylinders. Turn off kill switch, turn over motor several revolutions to expelled gas /antifreeze. Then you have to correct the problem causing it.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have checked, the oil is not milky the coolent level is fine with no change... Just find it very difficult to check the oil level using that stupid little window. I think I need to drain off some oil and check that window and the dip stick again....

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
I felt like I was wasting my freakin time and energy reaching down and checking the stupid dip stick so i did something about it...I measured down on the tubeing of the dip stick and made a mark using a magic marker, that's the level factory mark for your oil, then I went down another inch and cut the mother off...ha ha...added a clearplastic tube and a small hose clamp,,,Now I can just look and see the oil level... If you want to confirm the oil level height here's what you can do, measure up to the marks on the original oil site window, now measure and mark the same measurment on the outside of the tube to you're aftermarket dip stick, now hold the dip stick itself on the outside of the tube and see if the marks are correct to confirm..You should never do what I do though, I'm insane and you're not... Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Windshield Vehicle I also drill a breather hole just a hair below the threads of the bolt there, oil won't return so good without it..Now I just look at the oil height..

Auto part Pipe Exhaust system Vehicle Brake

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.