Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I had an oil leak from around the fuel pump on my 1980 interstate. i replaced the whole unit there and it went away. new leak started a month or so later. my mechanic, whom i trust, told me i shouldn't worry about it and just keep an eye on the oil level and fill er up every once in a while. that works fine. but the side of the bike gets dirty with oil, as do my boots and im want to go for a long ride (from toronto to nova scotia) and am worried about this. Anything I can do to just seal it up? I saw this liquid metal stuff that I could mold around it and it would dry and harden.

·
Administrator
26,168 Posts
imported post

There is a small seal where the tach cable goes in. It is still available and easy to change.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
There is a small seal where the tach cable goes in. It is still available and easy to change.
Groovy, where do I get it and what's the part number? The last time I changed the whole unit for another old unit.

·
Administrator
26,168 Posts
imported post

OIL SEAL
91256-425-003

Dealer item only. List price is $3.78 so best to get it from the local dealer since shipping would be more than the part from an online source.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
OIL SEAL
91256-425-003

Dealer item only. List price is $3.78 so best to get it from the local dealer since shipping would be more than the part from an online source.
thanks!

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I'm getting the oil seal tomorrow (if it comes on time). What do I have to do to install it?

·
Administrator
26,168 Posts
imported post

Remove the fuel pump mount from the head and pull the tach cable out. From inside the large opening pry up on the tach drive gear and it will push the seal and drive gear out. Put the new seal on the gear, flat side up and push it back in the hole with a socket until it is all the way down. Put it back together. You may have to rotate the engine for the fuel pump arm to go over the end of the cam.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,204 Posts
imported post

I had the same kind of thing, it turned out to be the fuel pump gasket. It's the black 1/4" wide gasket between the pump and the right hand cylinder head above the brake lever. It's only 2 bolts and it comes off easily with no oil loss. I took it off and put some Loctite silicon gasket sealant on both sides and put it back on, took 20 minutes but use the redhi-temp stuff. It fixed me right up, even though the gasket was split right through in one spot, and it for sure don't leak now!

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks for all the help, guys. I just did the work. I sure hope it doesn't leak anymore!

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

so the leak from the tach cable is fixed thanks to your help. :) but now I have a new leak! The top part of the fuel pump is leaking through the gasket. I guess I need to take it back apart, put in some gasket sealer, and hope for the best. Or maybe I didn't put it back tight enough?

·
Administrator
26,168 Posts
imported post

Is it leaking fuel around the top or oil where the pump bolts to the mount.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
Is it leaking fuel around the top or oil where the pump bolts to the mount.
The new leak is from the gasket where the red arrow is pointing.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

does that help? I tried tightening it, it still leaks (less so). I don't even understand why the hell there would be oil in there in the first place! I'm hoping some enlightened person can explain/help me out here.

·
Administrator
26,168 Posts
imported post

OK, the best solution would be replace it but you can use some gasket sealer on it or cut your own paper gasket for it. If you go the sealer route use it very sparingly, nothing worse than a big gob of RTV getting in the engine and plugging up an oil passage.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.