Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oil level on the GL1100 (1981 model). When checking the oil level by looking at the oil level window must the motor be hot or cold, bike on the centre stand. If hot how do you do it, run the motor until normal operating temp then switch off and check level or wait a while then check.....

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
level, on center stand, on your knees/belly..flash light, turn the sweep ..it sucks get an aftermarket dip stick that installs in the oil drain plug much better...IMHO.

PS I have an extra one..$20 plus shipping they are $25 and up at suppliers.

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
Engine cold

Engine cold, on center stand, flashlight, on belly, long screwdriver.

Yep, it sucks to do it. I put on a dipstick from J C Whitney. Good investment!!!

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
I have removed dipsticks from Wings that I got that had them. All of them were leaky, and IMO more of a pain than just using a flashlight.

Bill

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Engine cold, on center stand, flashlight, on belly, long screwdriver.

Yep, it sucks to do it. I put on a dipstick from J C Whitney. Good investment!!!
Thanks thats the info I wanted, on centre stand, cold engine....... I do have a dip stick but was not sure on the requered level and cold engine..... Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Change your oil..then mark the stick when you know it's exactly rigth and/or change oil..but only put in 3 qts. then mark stick..then add the rest of the recommecded amount of oil mark stick again..now you have a low and full marks

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
checking oil level

The most fun checking oil level with the window is to first add a sidecar. Now you get to stand on your head with a flashlight and small mirror and...........!:ROFL:

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
What Sparrow said! I recently got myself an endoscope, so next oil change may look more like a colon exam!!
:ROFL:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.