Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello Everyone Again,

Well there is no rest for my work.. After replacing the head gaskets and starting her up she was running strong.. It was blowning alot smoke, but i thought it would clear up and just watched... after she was good and warm, the smoke got worse and than it started to clear a little when a bunch of junk came out of the oil pressure sender whick is located on top of the engine right side just above the oill fill cap... anybody have this problem...

still waiting to ride....

PJ

·
Administrator
26,562 Posts
imported post

Do you mean the oil pressure switch blew apart?

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

in the manual they call it the oil pressure sender...on top of the enginge just above the oil filler cap... anyway it blew out a lot of junk and i just shut the bike down.. do u know something??

PJ

·
Administrator
26,562 Posts
imported post

Nothing should come out of the oil pressure sender unless the top blew off it, is that what you mean? And what do you mean by junk? If the oil switch did blow apart there must be way too much oil pressure so I would take the valve covers off and make sure oil is getting to the heads. If the passages to the heads are blocked it would raise the oil pressure and in a little while it would burn up the cam bearings and ruin the heads.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Pj
the word junk throws us off. What is this junk?

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks again.. I drained the oil and had put way too much, over a gallon and 1 quart was in her..... whats the damage if any, should i worry or just top off the oil and start her up...????

PJ

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

I'm thinking the top of the sender got wacked off during the head R&R. Is there a metal spade sticking out of the sender that you would attach a wire to Pjjbur?
Wilf

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

With that much oil in the crankcase I'm betting that a bunch of it blew up the crankcase vent into the air filter housing and was dumping into the carbs. That's likely where the smoke was coming from. If you're really lucky today then maybe the oil on top of the engine was coming from the air filter housing too. You'll need to inspect that oil pressure sending unit though.
Too much oil can cause seals to blow out as the pressure builds in the crankcase. You'll need to keep an eye out for leaks for a while.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

You got lucky if only the sender blew apart. When you replace it, run the engine until the smoke clears.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

well it ran for a short while, now i have coolant getting in the oil, when i fill the radiator, a small amount is leaking somewhere into the engine... any ideas???

thxs

pj

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
imported post

I would do a compression test and/or leakdown test and look to see if you blew another head gasket. I modified a spark plug to add air to the cylinder when the valves are closed. Listen and you can hear valve problems and leaks.

Good luck, sounds like you have a lot of work yet.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

Well we've had a couple of PM's go back and forth. PJ says that he removed the left side water pipes and poured water into the head and it dissappeared. It's an OEM head gasket by the way.
You'll have to replace the left side head gasket. Sucks when you have to do something twice. Only good part is that it didn't happen on the road.
You know what to expect from the job now and that's a good thing. When you have the head off take a good metal straight edge and check it for flatness. If it isn't flat post a note here and we'll go over the process for making it flat again.
Take your time, get it right, and grease the bolt threads and under the bolt heads. When you torque it down it should be 42-45 ft-lbs per a service bulletin issued 11/8/78. The torque value of the M6 bolts at the bottom of the oil return gallery (on the bottom of the head) remains as stated in the manual.
There is a black container (puke can) just inside the frame by the left footpeg. The hose coming out of it goes up to the airfilter housing. Pull the puke can off and empty it.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Thxs I will pull the head gasket off this week and let u all know hows it going.. I should be able to do it soon and will keep u posted... thxs again...

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

JamesPal wrote:
A small hole drilled in the bottom of the puke can will make it maintenance free :NO:
The 1100 must be different than the 1200 as on the 1200 that would be pulling dirty air into the formerly clean side of the air filter.:?

·
Administrator
26,562 Posts
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
JamesPal wrote:
A small hole drilled in the bottom of the puke can will make it maintenance free :NO:
The 1100 must be different than the 1200 as on the 1200 that would be pulling dirty air into the formerly clean side of the air filter.:?
No, it comes in on the outside of the filter but still it is very little trouble to remove and dump it.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Well i am good at getting the head off... Oil all over the place, questions:

1 Oil sender unit is still in place... just oil came out and the unit is still in place, the wire and all look good. ??do i need to take it off and inspect further???

2 took off he oil breather unit and nothing there..4 some reason i had to do something with the air filter and thats when i noticed some oil and cleaned her up, it was looking ok

3 can i still use my new/old gasket it looks ok

4 i had used copper seal spray on the other side, maybe thats why she didnt blow?

5 ur right, i am glad it didnt happen on the open road, i took it for a short trip and it was ok, checked for leaks and stuff... than i went to put gas in her, about 1 mile and thats when i noticed the smoke on the left side, plus i had put her on the side stand instead of center, anyway got her home and knew i was leaking because the oil window was a mess...

6 I wasalso running some of that stuff u put in the radiator to clean up the gunk and was draining her out and thats when i noticed the little bubble in the radiator, i knew than that something was wroing

7 so, i am going to clean her up and put copper spray on the head and hopefully she should be ok?????

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Not shure about your other questions but if oil did infact come out the pressure sensor it is junk like a pop can with a tiny hole in it.
wilf

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

One more update!

I noticed this am that the right side (left water pipe off) water is gone, must be a slower leak than the left, or maybe so much oil that sooner or later it was going to leak????

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.