Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I do not get the oil pressure on my Goldwing GL 1100 (83 mod) and the oil light comes on sometimes.I have changed the oil and oil filter, but it does not help.

Could it be oil pump that is broken?... is it hard to replace?

Sorry for my english

From Norway
Jon

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Poor oil pressure can come from a defective pressure sensor. If possible swap yours with one off a bike that does not have this problem. You can also try a new sensor. The only other test would be to attach a gauge to the engine and see if the pressure is proper.

Bad wiring could possibly cause the light to come on. Clean the connections in the circuit.

If you have low pressure it can be from blockage in the passages, a defective oil pump or bearings that are worn enough that the oil passes through them easily and there is no pressure created.

I believe you have to remove and disassemble the engine to service the oil pump. It is a very long and tedious process.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello and thank you for an answer

After I changed the oil and oil filter, oil pressure goes up when the engine is cold, but why falling oil pressure when the engine is warm?

From Norway
Jon

·
Administrator
27,889 Posts
There is an oil screen in the bottom of the sump that can be removed and cleaned. On the right side just below the frame there is a cover with 4 screws, the front screw is hard to remove but not impossible, replace it with a slightly shorter one to make the job easier.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello, and thanks for the answer

eehhh...oil screen in the bottom of the sump?...behind or botton of the oil filter

sorry for my bad english

Jon
Norway

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
As oil gets warmer it flow more easily so less pressure..check the oil screen as suggested..you may have to pry the frame out a little with a bar to at the one bolt.

Get to oil pump is major job..cases split, whole engine dissembled.

You might try to clean the internals by draining some oil adding a solvent..deseil works, run it for 50 miles VERY easy..low RPMs and then new oil and filter.

All advice above good ideas too!

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Hello, and thanks for the answer

eehhh...oil screen in the bottom of the sump?...behind or botton of the oil filter

sorry for my bad english

Jon
Norway
It is on the right side of the engine near the bottom. As I recall it is about 30mm x 10mm and has two bolts holding it in.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello, and thanks. I will take a look soon

By the way. it sounds as if the engine runs only on 3 cylinders, taking maybe wrong

(just like the engine out of fuel) .... it dangerous to drive ?

From Norway
Jon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.