Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

question: if the oil restricter is left out of head when installing the head how will it affect the engine gl1100. would it cause heavy smoke when it starts up.could it cause oil to enter the combustion chamber,therefore causing the engine to smoke quite a bit. i would appreciate any help or suggesting anyone has on this problem. thanks in advance hoghideman

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
imported post

I don't think it would cause smoking, the head gasket should keep the oil from getting into the cylinders even without the restricter.
If you got smoke at start up after the head gasket change, wait for a while and it should clear up.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
imported post

One purpose of the restrictor is to stop the oil getting into the head faster than it can drain back to the sump. Can't see no restrictor causing smoking, the head gasket should prevent that.

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

Also consider that without the restrictor , the oil pressure may be significantly lower. This possibly may not supply good pressure to the crankshaft .

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

My first thought about the oil restrictors was that they were an after-thought in the engine design. But the 1200's have them too. Since Honda kept them in there across different engines it must be for a reason.
I gotta go with OnaWingAndAPrayer's thought that they keep the oil pressure higher in the block.
The restrictor does have two O-rings on it. I wonder if not having the O-rings in the hole in the head gasket might allow oil to migrate to the combustion chambers. I don't know. I'd revisit the job and put them back in though. With luck you might be able to save the head gaskets.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

"With luck you might be able to save the head gaskets."

Head gaskets are a one time use. After they are crushed, they will not seal right again.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
imported post

scotterichmond wrote:
"With luck you might be able to save the head gaskets."

Head gaskets are a one time use. After they are crushed, they will not seal right again.
+1. It isn't worth taking a chance on them. These aren't metal gaskets like the use in 2-stroke engines.

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

If there is too much oil getting to the valve train, it is very possible smoking would be a symptom. Flooding of oil around the valves would increase the chance for consumption through the guides.

JD

·
Administrator
26,525 Posts
imported post

GregForesi wrote:
My first thought about the oil restrictors was that they were an after-thought in the engine design. But the 1200's have them too. Since Honda kept them in there across different engines it must be for a reason.
I gotta go with OnaWingAndAPrayer's thought that they keep the oil pressure higher in the block.
The restrictor does have two O-rings on it. I wonder if not having the O-rings in the hole in the head gasket might allow oil to migrate to the combustion chambers. I don't know. I'd revisit the job and put them back in though. With luck you might be able to save the head gaskets.
Yes on the keeping the oil pressure up in the block. hoghideman I wish you would install a gauge and check the pressure without the restrictors, then with them.
The o-rings keep the oil from bypassing the restrictor, it wouldn't cause a leak into the cylinders, if anything into the coolant, and I seriously doubt it would.
The oil drain back in the heads is way too large to worry about getting too much oil in the heads.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.