Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a GL1100 1983 Goldwing Interstate with only 30 000 miles on it but have not driven this year as I "think" (as in I know :lash:) I have a problem. When I started 'er up in April I saw a lasting cloud of bluish-colored smoke coming from the right rear tail pipe......suspect it is oil....did this a bit last year but seems much worse this year......I am NOT mechanical (to say the least) and am wondering what to do and what may be the cause.....any direction/help/assistance/advice would be most appreciated.....as I said coming out only one of the pipes....not both?? Thanx all :bow:

Dave

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
If the smoke clears after a short run, don't worry about it. Startup smoke is common enough on older Goldwings when the engine is cold. It is caused by hardened valve stem seals.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Couple of questions for you. You said it did it a bit last year. Did it smoke only on startup and then clear up or keep smoking while riding? did you have it parked on the side stand or on the center stand? Does the smoke smell like oil burning or a sweet smell like antifreeze? What does the end of the exhaust look like compared to the left? Have you checked the oil level and the coolant level? If not, you'll want to do that prior to starting it again.

If it's possible, post a picture or better yet a video of it running. That may really help in a correct diagnosis.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Commom problem with the older wings, try using Wm. Penn Valve Ease (200ml bottle) mixed with your fuel. To start with wait till you have very little fuel in the tanks (on reserve) and put halft a bottle in with the fuel and then ride for at least 20 to 30 Km (take spare fuel with if you think you will run out). You will notice a white smoke while you are riding, not to worry it's the valve ease doing it's job. Then when you fill her up add valve ease as per the bottle (one bottle to 75lt of fuel) and then use it every time you fill up. This will help to keep the valve stem seals lubricated and will also help with lubricating the cylinders and rings... Try it, it's cheap and cant do any harm... My bike runs a lot better and smoother with it...

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
1st smoke on startup is kind of standard but usually the left side as if the bike if left on the side stand oil can leak past the rings and iginite on startup..right side not so much!!! burning oil is usually bad rings or oil seals on the valves. Do a compression check if compression not even.. within 5 or so lbs on all cylinders that's a problem if you add a little oi, teaspoon,to each cylinder and the compression goes up = failing rings.

To do compression check; throttle wide open all plugs out , gas off and spark plugs pulled out of the caps or wrapped in cloth.....if not spark could ignite gas in cylinder being pushed out of the open spark plug holes!!! Charger on battery not a bad idea too! Good readings 140+ , 150's better and 160's damn good.

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
Evenness in compression readings are your main concern. The lower they are the more fuel and oil that you will burn. Try ATF in your fuel it works well and is a lot cheaper than the commercial additives (6-8 Oz to a tank).;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.