Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Found a replacement for my destroyed #4 carb, bought it sight unseen and am sure glad I didn't spend a lot on it! It is extremely oxidized and the vacuum piston is stuck solid in the carb.

I pulled everything out that would come loose, soaked the remainder in Gunk carb dip for two hours, removed more parts, soaked again, etc. After 24 hours of soaking, I had everything off except for the air cutoff "piston" and the vacuum piston.

Soaked the carb in kerosene for another 24 hours and was able to finally work the air cutoff piston loose (not pretty).

Finally, tonight, feeling extremely desperate, I took the carb and coffee can of kerosene and put them on a cheap electric hot plate in the middle of the driveway and boiled the whole thing for about an hour. Melted out the o-ring from the vacuum piston, but nothing is moving yet. The most I've tried "prying" with is the handle of a toothbrush for fear of damaging the carb body.

I've considered taking a dremel with various grinding and cutoff wheels and attempting to remove the vacuum piston in pieces but that will be just before I decide to toss the whole thing in the trash anyways.

Any other ideas? Soak in Coca-Cola? Vinegar? Other mild acid?

J-

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

DON'T use any metal tools on it. See if you can find some Kroil (it's commercial stuff, but there are places to buy it) and let it soak in that for a few days. If it still doesn't come loose, you won't likely be able to get it loose without destroying it. Corrosion, like rust, pits the surface of aluminum, and literally welds parts like that together. They won't come apart because they are physically attached to each other. I've seen iron engine blocks that could be rebuilt, once you took a hammer and chisel, and broke the pistons out of them, then rebored them. But a carb can't be rebored, and in any case the slide would be ruined.

Seems like it shouldn't be that hard to get a carb for a GL1100.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

JerryH wrote:
Seems like it shouldn't be that hard to get a carb for a GL1100.
That's what I thought... a few full rigs, only this one single. Riding season is coming to an end and I'm getting itchy to get back on the road!!!

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,787 Posts
imported post

You might try soaking in some of that homebru.:ROFL: Seriously, if the piston is stuck that hard it is probably corroded to badly to be usable.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

ATF is the best for freeing stuck metal parts, period.

That being said, chances are the slide area of the body is JUNK. Also, there could be pitting/powder inside all the little pasageways inside it, and could bring you a bunch of issues.

Bill

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

I would start over with a better donor.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

Keep it as a doner for parts and try for a better candidate.
Sounds like its pretty much seized in and only more damage will result in trying to free it out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.