Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted yesterday " Cool Exhaust"---that may have been misleading. Sorry!!
Here is the problem. Had the carbs rebuilt this winter--they have been twice checked on test motor and are good. Changed coils to the Dodge Neon coil pack (Ref in forum ). They appear to be working good--so we have new coils , new connector, new plug wires, new fuel pump. It runs but its rough. The right side exhaust doesnt get warm anywhere and if you pull plug wires there is no change on RPM but has lots of spark. I am down to thinking I left rags in right side intakes (kidding!!). Also pulled valve cover and checked valves working and did a compression check and changed plugs. I am stuck!!!!! I dont know what else to look for and spring is coming. HELP!!

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Does it improve at higher RPM, say 2500? If so, the idle circuit still needs work.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
I agree, idle jets need cleaning also known as slow jets, 80/81 are pressed in jets, 82/83 are unscrewable...They live down inside one of the two towers in the carb..Clean them up and I bet the pipes will warm equally when warming up..some people use a small guitar string to clear the small tiny holes in the jet...

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I posted yesterday " Cool Exhaust"---that may have been misleading. Sorry!!
Here is the problem. Had the carbs rebuilt this winter--they have been twice checked on test motor and are good. Changed coils to the Dodge Neon coil pack (Ref in forum ). They appear to be working good--so we have new coils , new connector, new plug wires, new fuel pump. It runs but its rough. The right side exhaust doesnt get warm anywhere and if you pull plug wires there is no change on RPM but has lots of spark. I am down to thinking I left rags in right side intakes (kidding!!). Also pulled valve cover and checked valves working and did a compression check and changed plugs. I am stuck!!!!! I dont know what else to look for and spring is coming. HELP!!
It Does seem to smooth out as RPM increases but I am getting an occasional backfiring and rough idle a 1500 and down. Could this be an idle circuit issue if they were checked twice on a test engine. Rebuild was done by a very reputable repair shop and as I mentioned they checked these twice???

·
Administrator
27,908 Posts
You already have a thread going on this, keep with the same thread so as not to confuse people.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
If it's an 80 or 81 the idle jets are pressed in and I doubt they pulled them so they are probably not clean..they have side ports which can't be cleaned in place.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.