Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

This is a video of what my 81 gl 1100 sounds like.Everything i've gathered so far was the carbs. needed sync.So it looks like this guy rebuilt his carbs.but didn't sync. his.I got a carb.kit from Randakk's I've got the rust out of the fuel tank.So now I'll be getting the carbs.rebuilt.My question is,when I sync.mine will this Knock go away? Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6PRKsgZkdw&feature=player_detailpage

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,793 Posts
imported post

No that is not the usual primary chain slap caused by the carbs being out of sync. Won't help to sync the carbs. That is something totally different. Not sure what it is but it doesn't sound good.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

I hate to say it, but something is BAD wrong in that engine. Hard to diagnose online, but I'd be thinking main or rod bearings? I owned a new 1100, and put 70,000 miles on it and never heard that kind of knock. Man I hope I'm wrong. jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

dingdong wrote:
No that is not the usual primary chain slap caused by the carbs being out of sync. Won't help to sync the carbs. That is something totally different. Not sure what it is but it doesn't sound good.
It has 39k miles on it.Thats not my bike,but it sounds just like the one I just got.I would like to find out what it is making the noise.while I have the carbs off.The fuel filter was completely cloged with rust.

Thanks! Bobby

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts
imported post

maybe not running on oe cyc.causing the knock try pulling plug wire and see wich one causes no change

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
imported post

Video sound doesn't always get it right. I'd sync the carbs again, and check it is firing on all 4 cylinders.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

mowerdoc wrote:
maybe not running on oe cyc.causing the knock try pulling plug wire and see wich one causes no change
There was no change on the #3 at all.When I removed the carbs.That one was dry.Both at the beginning on the right side wasn't getting fuel as the Seafoam worked the #1 broke loose and started firing.Fuel filter was completely clogged with rust,since then I ordered the randakk's rebuild kit with new filter.I found this video on you tube and it sounds just like mine.I don't have any way to ask that guy if he found out what his problem was with his bike.Thanks for the replies!I would like to get opinions on what it could be before putting the carbs back on.

Bobby

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts
imported post

if if it was runing on one cyc that very well could be your noise becaue the other three are dragging the first one down

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
imported post

I have deliberately run the tank dry (to get a strong solution of seafoam into the carbs) and that's exactly what the engine sounded like as the cylinders began to quit firing. And that fits with your observation that one of the carburetors was dry. That cylinder, at least, was not firing. When you get the cleaned carbs back in and crank it up, my guess is that you'll have eliminated the knock. Good luck with it, and keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

mowerdoc wrote:
if if it was runing on one cyc that very well could be your noise becaue the other three are dragging the first one down
Sorry It was running on 3 cyls.But probably same diagnosis but much louder.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

PAPete wrote:
I have deliberately run the tank dry (to get a strong solution of seafoam into the carbs) and that's exactly what the engine sounded like as the cylinders began to quit firing. And that fits with your observation that one of the carburetors was dry. That cylinder, at least, was not firing. When you get the cleaned carbs back in and crank it up, my guess is that you'll have eliminated the knock. Good luck with it, and keep us posted.
PaPete I got the tank clean and full of fuel.The carbs.are off I'm rebuilding them.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

ssnova72 wrote:
PAPete wrote:
PaPete I got the tank clean and full of fuel.The carbs.are off I'm rebuilding them.
Papete Sorry I miss read your post.Iwas reading it wrong:praying:

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Here's an update on my 81 GL1100.I rebuilt the carbs.with a Randakk's kit.It took me a while to do this,because I wanted to clean them up real good.The 82 carbs.had teflon on the sliders,so I used the sliders on the 81 carbs.I didn't mark the carbs or keep the parts in order.I just used all the good parts between the pile of parts.I read that you aren't supposed to mix the parts up,but I did to see if it would work.And it runs Great.The hardest part was getting the throttle cables back on.Now I got to take them back off because I didn't run the throttle cables over the seat rail and they are in the way of replacing the breather box back in.I mixed the floats and the needle jets on the bottom of the carbs up too.I synked the carbs by setting the butterflies all the same opening.The slow jets were completely blocked,I used the wire brush wire to open them.I filled the carbs with gas from the tank through a filter to the carbs sitting on a bucket,to also make sure there were no leaks.I've still got a lot of work to do to it.Brake calipers sticking...Fork seals...Timing belts and front tire.I've owned bikes before but never worked on them,just done normal service.I have done a lot of mechanic work on vechiles though.I appreciate all the help all of you supplied to me and this site helped me a lot!Thanks fellow Goldwingers!Oh I forgot to mention on the Randakk's kit the air cut off springs were too big to sit on the center of the diaframs,so I used the old springs.Thanks Again!

Bobby

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

sounds like your well on your way. got any pics?

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
imported post

That's very interesting. I filmed a video that sounds extremely similar to that, though mine was able to idle without even a blip, all on its own. I filmed it while it idled away, though it was sounding very sick, similar to that vid. I drove it a couple miles to a shop and tore down the head to find a valve had holed the piston.
When I first watched your vid I thought "uh oh..." Good to hear it is much less severe. Also interesting to find what I suspected; it's very difficult to diagnose these things, so many variables. Doing it in a forum is even more so, though this place does a commendable job.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Hello Mandos!You're right about a lot of usefull info. on here,just don't be afraid to jump right in there an get it done,that is if you have the tools and know how to use them.Sorry to hear you got a hole in the piston.Did the belt brake or the valve just come loose?That video I found on youtube,that's exactly how mine sounded I thought it was a rod bearing,thankfully it was the carbs.Now I notice there's no more ajustment on the clutch.as a matter of fact the bottom bolt is down on the lower end of the cable and there's no more thread left.I'm starting on the forks and front brake calipers sticking today.Hey I appreciate the reply.:action:

Bobby

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Hello Pcpix-3!I haven't got any pics. yet but I'll be posting some very soon.Thanks!

Bobby

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

I haven't been able to post pics.yet.When I try to post it states my pics.too large.I did get to put one in my avetar,haven't got the seat or front brakes back on yet.

Bobby

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
imported post

You might want to test your ignition system with a timing light too, then your good...See a lot of times that pulse generator isn't working proper, it should be tested at the plug [ohms], and the pulse generator should also be inspected and all parts cleaned and lightly greased, I'm telling you this because mine had rust and junk and I couldn't beleave what I saw under that cover, It's a pain to get to because you have to pull off the swingarm but, it's better than pulling the engine out..The vaccum advance is right there too , it operates the pickup coils which were also a mess on mine, [stuck]...So you could test that with a vac pump...Good luck...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.