Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Ok, so I go to take a ride after 2 weeks of nothing but rain the other day and the bike won't crank. Check the battery and the cells are dry. Fill the cells with distilled water and charge overnight. Bike starts right up. Now I take my handy multi-meter and check the bike at the battery. At idle (1200 rpm) I'm getting 14.1 volts. At 3500 rpm I'm getting between 14.8-14.9. I thought I read somewhere about charging and someone saying that this was too much voltage. Is this fine or do I have a problem with the regulator?

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

Hi thats fine more than that you might have a prob also if the cell were dry in the battery it would be a good idea to top up with some battery acid

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

You are fine although on the high end of voltage level.... you should check your fluid level more often because of this.. and just water is all I would recommend.. the acid won't go anywhere unless you spilled it out... the water doesn't "boil" either although that term is usually used.. it is an electrolysis process where the water is converted to hydrogen at one electrode and oxygen at the other... eventually all the water can be converted..

·
Administrator
28,062 Posts
imported post

You might check the ground connection for the regulator, not sure on a 1200 but I think it is right by the regulator. If the ground is loose or corroded it can cause overcharging.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
imported post

"Overcharging"

I thought you started a topic about:

"Mother Honda", Walmart,Food,Gas,Electricor something...:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::waving::waving::waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
You might check the ground connection for the regulator, not sure on a 1200 but I think it is right by the regulator. If the ground is loose or corroded it can cause overcharging.
Check connectors. My regulator didn't get voltage from ignition, that is why it didn't work. I had about 14.5-14.9 at 2000 and 16 at 4000 RPM

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
imported post

If a man speaks in the forest and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?
---------------
SDB/Jim
2000 GL1500SE
1983 GL1100I
---------------
Temporarily in Indiana

Only if he tells a woman about it later........!!

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

DBohrer wrote:
If a man speaks in the forest and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?
---------------
SDB/Jim
2000 GL1500SE
1983 GL1100I
---------------
Temporarily in Indiana

Only if he tells a woman about it later........!!
:dude::dude::dude:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.