Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

i have 82 gl 1100 interstate, put new thermostat in and i still get radiator boil when it get hot, when i shut it off (need help) thanks backseat

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
imported post

Did you have the cap tested to make sure it's good? If the cap dosen't hold pressure it lowers the boiling point. Is the fan working good?

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
imported post

I had an overheating problem a few weeks ago with my '82i. I replaced the thermostat, both hoses and the rad cap and it's been fine ever since, even on days the temp. has been 80- 90 degress. I wonder if old hoses get weak and colapse when under pressure causing a restriction in flow in the cooling system.

Chris

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
imported post

Yes, the hoses can collapse when the get hot. That's why it's good to grab them(preferably when not hot) when doing any maintenance and give them a squeeze. They should be firm. If they feel like mush, replace them.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
imported post

could be head gasket.....first place the show leakage is usually into the cooling system.....when it gets hot is it over flowing the reseve tank?

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
imported post

rad could be plugged up and need a pro cleaning/flush

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

folks, thanks for all the tips on my problem on overheating,(yes) all your knowlegde is a saver.not have other problem with rear pan oil leak,

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

backseat wrote:
folks, thanks for all the tips on my problem on overheating,(yes) all your knowlegde is a saver.not have other problem with rear pan oil leak,
This statement is not clear. Please elaborate what you mean by it. Have you fixed the boiling problem?

If you have an oil pan leak you need help on, start a new topic on that. Keep this topic to the overheating unless it is a headgasket leaking, which you have not answered what the problem is. We want to help, but you need to give the right info.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

You could need to "burp" the system to get an air bubble out. Do a search on the procedure.

I've used Evans NPG+ waterless coolant in my '83 Interstate for the last 7 years without changing it and the bike still runs within the safe operating range. I also use a 4lb. cap(not a typo) to keep a little bit of pressure on the system. Since there's no water, it won't boil over until 375 deg.(not a typo). If I do have a hose failure, it would be a trickle rather than a gusher.

Here's a link for the manufacturer:http://www.evanscooling.com/

Hope you get your problems figured out soon!

Hobie

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

everybody thanks for helping me out with my overheating problem, yes i did change radiator cap, hoses,and thermostat. problem solved and a big thanks for all your help. thanks backseat

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.