Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I always put my bike on the center stand and I always shut off the petcock....do you guys think thats important to do?
mine is a gl1100
I sorta worry about wearing out the petcock .
I wonder about other people's views on these two things.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
imported post

I usuallyturn off thepetcock at each parking, and I use the center stand if I'm in a crowded parking lot simply from the case there are crazy people out there who may want to 'try out' a bike and I don't want it falling over.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
imported post

I don't trust the center stand unless I am going to be with the bike, working on it or answering questions from the many admirers. :congrats:

I had just taken delivery of my brand new BMW R50 back in '58. I had to call a friend and tell him the news. As I hung up the phone and exited the phone booth I was just in time to catch the bike as it started to fall over. The center stand had begun to sink in to the asphalt.

Anyone remember phone booths? They were like glass out houses with a phone in one corner. Ten cents got you a call.

·
Administrator
26,168 Posts
imported post

Wearing out the petcock would be a lot better situation than a hydro-lock and bent rod.
I only use the center stand when working on or cleaning the bike. The side stand is a lot more stable.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

so i guess people dont worry about oil build up in the combustion chamber by being on the side stand (thats the reason I do the center stand)

maybe i shouldn't worry about that

·
Administrator
26,168 Posts
imported post

There won't be but very little oil and it may smoke a bit but it won't hurt anything.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

yes it is a very good idea to do that , shutting off the fuel flow. i do it ! had to rebuild it after 28 years use.
center stand-- i use my ride off , most of the time . side stand-- some times. kinda depends.

·
Senior Something
13,270 Posts
imported post

I always turn off the fuel, and use the center stand when parking it overnight or if it will be a few days before I ride again. It being a older bike I don't want the fuel leaking into the cylinders and if I leave it on the side stand for a week or so it will smoke out the neighborhood.

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
imported post

Center stand for overnight and longer, pet **** always:

Logic: Center stand on hard surface (concrete, etc.) is much more secure than kick stand. No way the bike "rolls off" the center stand and no way someone tips it over sideways. Hot asphalt, gravel, sand, dirt mud, may need a better surface since the small surface of either will sink and roll your bike over.

Logic: Pet **** will shut off the fuel flow to the carbs. Since they have float assemblies, when parked on the side stand they are not hanging on their hinges right and will tend to open up and let fuel flow into the cylinders or the air box. I've had a puddle in the air box several times when I had it one the side stand for more than a few hours. If it makes it to the cylinders, it can fill the cylinder with liquid gasoline that can't be compressed and that will bend your valves and piston rods.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Anther reason ........that someone my like the center stand better.............If you use the center stand theres no way to forget like there is with the side stand...I have forgotten to put the side stand up before which is scary...and could bust it,which wont happen w the center stand

·
Senior Something
13,270 Posts
imported post

Make sure the side stand is up before taking it down off the center stand.
Don't ask me how I know. :lash:

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Of my 3 wings the 1100 is the only one i turn the petcock off on. Ive never turned the petcock off on the 79 for parking'yea perhaps I should' but it has never ever leaked. my 1500 has a auto petcock I guess?
But my 1100 will hydo lock if I turn my back on that sucker.Ive been tho the carbs and can't seem to get it to stop. I'm thinking the 1100 carbs are more prone to flooding but thats just my guess.
I used to always put the bike's on the center stand but now mostly they sit on the sidestand. I put something under the sidestand if i don;t trust the surface. Both seem stable to me except the 1500 sidestand doent seem up to the task on the 1500
Wilf

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

That's what the petcock is for, and it won't wear out any faster using it than having it corrode in place. I use the centerstand for parking in my garage only, the bike is more stable on the side stand because the three points on the ground, two tires and the stand foot, describe a wider triangle than the two feet of the center stand and front tire.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
imported post

For overnight& parking lots, I will use the center stand. On the street, the side stand. Always shut off the gas. Ya never no when you might get a heavy float And hydro-lock on start. Mine's an 83 1100. Plus I like to get the oil back to the sump rather than the left cylinders.;)

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

Had my 750 Norton fall over on a hot day while on the center stand on Main St. She layed there for hours until i came back , i nearly cried.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.